Koivu's eye still a concern

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
MONTREAL (CP) -- Saku Koivu will start training camp with lingering concern for his injured left eye.

The eye was red and still partly closed when the Montreal Canadiens captain arrived at the team's annual charity golf tournament at Laval-Sur-La-Lac on Tuesday.

It was a lot better than the swollen mess of last April, when his eye was clipped under his visor by a high stick from Carolina's Justin Williams during an NHL playoff game. Koivu had surgery to repair a detached retina in the off-season.

"It's going a lot better," he said, a touch of concern in his voice. "We'll do more tests next week.

"We're hoping for the best."

The Canadiens first-line centre said he still has problems with peripheral vision and doesn't know if -- or how much -- it will affect his play on the ice.

"Whether it gets better, I don't know," he said. "I'm hoping it won't affect too much.

"Now I want to get into some scrimmages and battles on the ice and see how it reacts. We'll see in training camp when we play serious hockey how the eye will react."

Koivu will wear a visor one size larger this season "just to make sure it won't happen again."

He has already been skating for two weeks with it at home in Turku, Finland.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/article.jsp?content=20060905_144656_5228

F

Forbidden

Well he is a leader on that team I assume, hopefully he can come back for Candiens fans like you lol

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes I am very hopeful that he comes back sooner then later, because he's the heart of the team, that's why he has the C on is jersey. I also think that the reason why they lost to the Hurricanes is because he got struck in the face by a hockey stick. If he played the whole series they would of taken it.

Turbo

Registered Member
poor Saku...he can't get a break, hopefully he can play. he's a great player with hall of fame in his future for sure.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I have seen the reply, Man..That was one bad hit
Hope to see him back on ice

He is an awsome leader and awsome player and will be in Hall of Fame if he keeps his talent up like now

L

LeBronIzHot

That's bad news for him. He is such a talented player and I hope he gets better

Get Well