• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Basketball Kobe Bryant Signs Two Year Extension

dDave

V.I.P.
Lakers Sign Kobe Bryant to Contract Extension | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS

I have to express some doubt about this decision. Yeah, Bryant is great, but I honestly don't think he has all that much time left when he'll really be able to dominate. I was thinking he would play til the end of the his contract and retire, now he's signed a two year extension.

I guess only time will really tell, I just hope he doesn't end up being a useless and washed up player like Shaq or something.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Given that Kobe went straight into the NBA and skipped college basketball thus playing full 82 game seasons starting at 18 I expected him to have even more wear and tear than he does have. As a Spurs fan I've always admired Kobe's abilities and I do think he has enough for two more years. I also hope he doesn't become a useless player like others have but I don't think he will.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
He definitely has two years left in him, but I'm not sure he's worth what they're going to be paying him. $48+ million over two years? He's not the dominant player that he used to be and he can only continue to go downhill. Regardless, he'll go down as one of the NBA's all-time greats.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I woulda thought they'd ink him for less so they'd have more cap space to put better players around him

Zenheizer

needs practice
It doesn't MATTER if he's helping them to win another title. The Lakers organization OWES Kobe EVERYTHING for making the franchise relevant since Magic left the team in the 90s. The Laker's brand is still very healthy, even if they aren't anywhere near the competition.

It would be a huge disservice and basketball would definitely scrutinize the organization if the traded him or didn't pay him. His time in the NBA is coming to an end unfortunately but the reason why they pay him is because there will be HUGE backlash if they shopped him for "building for the future". The man has been the face of the franchise for over 15 years.

They were obligated to, and I'm sure Buss is more than happy to handsomely pay Kobe for what he has brought to the franchise.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with you Zen, Kobe has kept the Lakers brand relevant all these years and the organization has more than made up for what they are paying him. That said I do think Kobe should want money free'd up to sign some help, then again they are overpaying Nash as well so I don't blame Kobe for wanting what he is due.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well Tim Duncan took less money to stay in San Antonio...guess they did him a disservice for lowering his salary?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I guess if they're only concerned about putting fans in the seats, then paying Kobe more than he's worth on the basketball court was the right thing to do. Heck with winning. I forgot sports are more about protecting your brand.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah exactly

As a Laker hater I was actually happy when I heard about this deal because I figured it handicapped them when it comes to possibly Carmello or Lebron.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I guess if they're only concerned about putting fans in the seats, then paying Kobe more than he's worth on the basketball court was the right thing to do. Heck with winning. I forgot sports are more about protecting your brand.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. As Millz pointed out Duncan took less money to stay in SA and so have several players including Parker and Ginobili. Which is a big reason why the Spurs are a contender while the Lakers really aren't anymore.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NBA 3
Babe_Ruth NBA 2
dDave NBA 8
StroShow NBA 12
S NBA 7