• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Known Shillers

technoflutemom

Registered Member
I reported an obvious shilling situation a few months ago. Apparently the culprit only got a couple of weeks of suspension and is back to her tricks. I wish there was something to do besides report her again, but I don't want to get in trouble for auction interference.

palefrost

Registered Member
Ive seen sellers band together and bid on each others items. That really burns me! I dont see that stopping.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yep, this happens all the time. The sad part is that nothing seems to be getting done about this. This is a big reason why I prefer Buy-It-Now nowadays as opposed to having to mess with the shill bidders.

karenlyn

Registered Member
I do the same, Andrew. I almost always look for a good buy-it-now price rather than mess with bidding. It used to be a large part of the fun of eBay, but so many people have found a way to take advantage. It's a shame. I'm starting to prefer to use eBay more like a store with the Buy-It-Now feature.

Does anybody else do this?

technoflutemom

Registered Member
Karenlyn, I do the same thing. Usually I do it because when I want something, I want it soon. I don't want to wait around for the end of an auction.

mamab

Registered Member
I prefer to use the Buy-it-Now over bidding. Is it wrong? I kind of get the impression it might be.

ninikins

Registered Member
What are shillers exactly? JUst people who try to UP the prices for their items by bidding themselves?

technoflutemom

Registered Member
What are shillers exactly? JUst people who try to UP the prices for their items by bidding themselves?
Shillers bid on their own auctions or on auctions of people the know just to drive the price up. Ebay doesn't care much about it because higher prices mean more fees to them.

Plumley

Registered Member
Well, damn, I wasn't aware shill bidding was this common. I've always stayed away from BIN simply because the price was usually quite a bit higher. I'm going to watch more carefully now and be more open to it.