Knowing someone is 'the one'

Bliss

Sally Twit
No this isn't a thread about the Matrix. This is about knowing someone is 'the one' just by looking at them.

I bumped in to a friend of mine a week ago who I hadn't seen in a couple of years and she told me she was in a relationship with someone she met at work. She said he was new, walked in to the office and as soon as she saw him she said to herself 'I am going to marry this person.' I threw up in my mouth as I was typing that. Is this even possible? She hadn't even spoken to him and yet they are now together and talking about getting married.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
One of my crazy ex girfriends admitted to me during our relationship that she thought that same thing about me when she met me at work. Even told her Dad that she met this guy at work and thought I was the one she was going to marry. Why she would tell me that is beyond me...I thought it was kinda weird.

This is also the same person who followed me home from work one time to see where I lived so she might just have been insane haha.

I don't think its possible to know that without talking to them first. Looks are only looks but personality and all of that other stuff are more important.

lolol. I think that any true life cases of 'love at first sight' are a coincidence. They were intensely attracted by one another from the start and it just so happened that they were suited on deeper levels too.

I suppose if you believe in the more spiritual side of relationships, soul mates etc, you're much more likely to find love at first sight and knowing someone is 'the one' plausible.

Daemonic

Registered Member
I'm guess it is possible to get a feeling from someone but to know you are going to marry them right away sounds a little silly to me. I also don't believe there is just one person out there for everybody. So I don't believe in "the one"....

Hiei

The Hierophant
I don't believe in love at first sight, what so ever. If you think that you're in love with someone at first sight, I really hope that you spotted a serial killer. Looks are so vastly deceiving that it's impossible to tell if they're the right person for you based completely on looks.

Sure, you might realize that they're the one for you after the first date or two, but to think that you're going to marry someone at first sight is straight up retarded. Abso-fucking-lutely Re-goddamn-tarded.

Personally, I wouldn't even trust my instincts if they told me that I loved this person after only the first look. I need to know more about the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with, other than just what they look like and whatever charm they can bring to the table in the first ten seconds of knowing them.
------
I suppose if you believe in the more spiritual side of relationships, soul mates etc, you're much more likely to find love at first sight and knowing someone is 'the one' plausible.
I'd have to argue that they might not really find "the one" easier so much as they're willing to accept that whomever they actually DO find is "the one." I'm inclined to think that if you're looking for something in specific like that, your mind will fool you into thinking that everything is like that and the first person that they date, they'll stay with them forever just hoping that they really are that special person, when they may or may not actually be "the one."

Last edited:

Zappa

Registered Member
So what happens if you see "the one" but he/she rejects you? Do you just stop looking for potential partners?

I think to know somebody is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you have to know what's inside of them, not outside.

Hissa

Registered Member
In my opinion,when you meet someone for the first time....it will not be possible to decide whether you will get married or not...
Successful relationships need more time to build....because after marriage you will spend your entire life together....
So...both of you need to get to know each other...and this thing will necessarily require some time....

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
There is no such thing as love at first sight. There can be infatuation at first sight, but the other sort is just a Disney convention people create within their minds to validate their relationships further.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I think it's silly to say someone is the one, by a first sight. You'll never know it for sure until you have met him several times.
Just like Bex said, it's a coincidence.