Knitting

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Easily-Amused, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

I learned how to knit a little over a year ago, and I love it. I learned from a youtube video, and ended up teaching my mom some of the basic stuff. Shen then went off and learned all the supercomplicated stuff and is now teaching me some of that... remotely (i'm at college on the East coast, while she is at home in California).
    ANYHOW I just got a new set of extendable needles sizes 2 - 15 and I wanted to share my knitting passion with people. So, I was wondering...

Who else on here knits? Anyone?

Nixola and Doc like this.

2. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

That probably because you're easily amused...

That said, I have been known to knit on the odd occassion. I've never finished what I've started, but I have plenty of scarfs which were intended to be jersey's, so am at the least warm necked in winter. :lol:

3. Easily-Amused

Har har har... no it's true >.< haha
    I can knit while doing other things though. I often knit in class or while watching a movie. It actually keeps me engaged.

I love scarfs ^_^ I have... a few (understantement of the century) too many.

4. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

One can never have enough scarfs, my ma used to say (actually, still says).

I think we need to start a new thread though, called "Intervention - how to keep EA busy enough to stop knitting in 10 easy steps"!!!

5. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

My mum taught me how to knit when I was around 10 and I knitted myself a scarf, then about 2 years later I knitted myself another scarf and I haven't knitted since. I've forgotten it all now, but I'm sure if someone was to show me the ropes I would remember it all. It would be nice to get into, but I'll wait until I'm less busy.

6. Windwhisperer

Windwhisperer Registered Member

I knit scarves :) haha because its all I can do. But I find knitting to be extremely relaxing!

7. Easily-Amused

-shudders- I CAN STOP ANY TIME I WANNA! >.<

I finished a hat two days ago, and right now I am making a striped long thin scarf ^_^ it's my first project with stripes, and it's going really well ^_^
    ------
    Update: Striped scarf is finished. I am now working on a solid dark grey scarf for my boyfriend. It's actually his mom's yarn, which she got because he likes it, but she never has time to knit so I am making it :D he likes it so far.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  8. Easily-Amused

Update for dead thread:
    I finished Ben's scarf, and I am looking for material to make a little knitted Serenity ship from Firefly. Serenity Ship Pattern Kelly Lane

9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

LOL that looks really dirty....

I would love to learn how, but I just don't have the money to buying that stuff. Maybe one day I will. I think it's really awesome. I would love to make jayne's hat, too.

10. hydronicrocker

hydronicrocker Registered Member

:shifteyes:
    I actually think that is quite rude. that doesn't mean shes easily amused. There are a lot of things available to do in life, knitting being one of them.

I started knitting when i was younger and learn't to do crocheting while spending a weekend with my nana.

Years passed and i had completely banished the idea from my head until i realized how much such skills our grandmothers have and that we should learn all we can from them.

My nana and i started doing some sewing i made pencil cases and so on and so forth. I got back into knitting and learn't some different styles. But I have a wide range of hobbies and this is just one of them.

I am going to start knitting some winter jumpers and making some winter dresses and knitting some socks and so on. Winter is an excellent time to get into knitting. Gives you something to do with all that indoor time. Reading is another excellent source of education that we have that can provide us endless hours of enjoyment through those cold nights and horribly windy days.

Did you ever hear about the boy who became a young entrepreneur from making pencil decorations.. ? Something so simple was used to produce a lot of money for himself.

With knitting you can make things and sell them, maybe at markets or online, through friends etc.. Or even use them as gifts which give them even more value as you made them yourself. Same goes for a handmade card.

Imagine if someone mastered all the skills in life you could attain? Now wouldn't that be something.​