• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Knighthoods

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
With Team GB winning gold today there is already talk of knighthoods being handed out to the winners. The thing is I do not get what they have done to deserve them, its not that I don't think they have achieved something great because they have but on the basis they will be paid a lot of money from sponsors to do this therefore it is effectively their day job and so I ask, why do they receive them?

I am not sure the process of how it is determined or how the royals decide who does and doesn't deserve one, this last year Jonny Ives of Apple won one to which he dedicated to Steve Jobs, as proud of him as I am and he does good work again, ultimately, it is his day job.

But what is your take on this? Do you think they are handed out to the incorrect people? Should it be limited to people who do certain things?

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I always thought Knighthoods were given to people who did something which improved communities or did great things in their field of work.

They shouldn't be given to sports personalities just for winning a chunk of Gold; if they do, where the fuck is Beckham's knighthood? He's the ambassador of British football worldwide, and helped campaign for the Olympics and the World Cup.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I think it's an idea because Great Britain wins shit all so yeah, it's a great achievement to win gold at the Olympics considering how many athletes are battling for that piece of gold. But to knight them, is silly.

I agree with Pugz about Beckham, if anyone deserves to be knighted, it's David Beckham. He has changed the English football in many ways than one, a great footballer and the best England has ever produced since George Best and Sir Bobby Charlton.

stone70faud

With Team GB winning gold today there is already talk of knighthoods being handed out to the winners. The thing is I do not get what they have done to deserve them, its not that I don't think they have achieved something great because they have but on the basis they will be paid a lot of money from sponsors to do this therefore it is effectively their day job and so I ask, why do they receive them?

I am not sure the process of how it is determined or how the royals decide who does and doesn't deserve one, this last year Jonny Ives of Apple won one to which he dedicated to Steve Jobs, as proud of him as I am and he does good work again, ultimately, it is his day job.

But what is your take on this? Do you think they are handed out to the incorrect people? Should it be limited to people who do certain things?
The process is for a list of people who are nominated by various factions from the political parties and that's only three which is quite unrepresentative of other lesser political parties, the bureaucrats add their list and from these lists a selection is made which is then presented to the Queen by the Prime Minister.
I am personally do not see the point in the continuence of an outdated Knighthoods ceremony which might have had some meaning 500 years ago but not now or indeed giving anyone the title Lord-nonsense. If someone is to be acknowledge for their deeds that have eniched and improved the lives of many over their working lives then let the public present those people with a special award of thanks. But let's not give such awards to anyone under the age of 50-then their success can be properly measured.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise General Discussion 8