• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Knighthoods

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Last night me and a friend were discussing Knighthoods as Chris Hoy has been knighted and it was recommended by Prime-minister David Cameron that Andy Murray be knighted for hitting a ball around whilst getting paid an awful lot of money to do so.

And there in lies my problem with knighthoods. I really do not think sports personality should be knighted for basically doing what they get paid for, the exception to the rule maybe David Beckham because he has done an awful lot to help a lot of people and hey, Chris and Andy may have done the same for all I know but as far as I know they have not. They get paid to compete at one of the top levels in the world for basically playing a sport and that is all they do, I however rarely see people like the Police, Fire services or Doctors etc making the new years honours list, why not? Do they not deserve the same level of respect? I would say I have MUCH more respect for them than any actor or sportsman and thing is we wondered, if this doing a dis service to the whole idea of being knighted?

What do you think though? What is your opinion?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree knighting someone because they are a sports star, famous musician or actor that made millions probably isn't the best use for it. I would much rather it was reserved for people that really made a difference like someone that found a cure for a horrible disease or saved their platoon.

Wasn't it originally used to reward someone that did something heroic for the country?

Elanor

Registered Member
I agree that the honours system needs a re-think. Last year there was 1 knighthood that annoyed me, and that was Bradley Wiggins. It was great he won the Tour De France (and a few Olympic medals), but I don't think it deserved a knighthood. Not when David Weir, who has 6 Paralympic gold medals, multiple world titles, 6 time London marathon winner and does loads for disability sports gets a CBE.

I think Andy Murray should be made to wait a few years for a knighthood, he is far too young! I think that he does a lot for charity, and if I am right he recently donated prize money to a cancer charity. On that basis I could possibly forgive them for making him a Sir when he is older.

If you look at the official list of New Years/Birthday Honours, there are lots of people from all walks of life who do get recognised. One of the problems is that this isn't publicised. The media all focus on the well known people, rather than the deserving ones. I would say they deserve a lot more respect than the rich and famous.

dDave

V.I.P.
I was always under the impression that knighting someone was similar to the Medal of Honor here in America. This is pretty much solely reserved for military personnel who show exemplary behavior even in the toughest of circumstances. I suppose a non-military person could win it, I've just never heard of it.

I agree though, an honor of this sort should not be awarded to celebrities just because it can be. You give the award to people like this and it means just a bit less.

Elanor

Registered Member
Our Military do have their own honours, but they can also be awarded by the civilian honours system.
I am not totally against 'celebrities' being honoured, but I feel that they should do something that deserves it. Not just 'Services to Acting' or some other rubbish. It should be some kind of long-term charity work, doing things for/with the community etc.They should use their fame/fortune in a productive way if they choose to.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Sounds like it's just a title given out of respect for being outstanding in their respective 'fields' or jobs. I admittedly do not know a lot about the tradition but I think it's a bit demeaning to say that it's a travesty just because they're athletes.

Elanor

Registered Member
Sounds like it's just a title given out of respect for being outstanding in their respective 'fields' or jobs. I admittedly do not know a lot about the tradition but I think it's a bit demeaning to say that it's a travesty just because they're athletes.
Athletes aren't exactly slackers are they...I know I could never do what elite athletes can do. The dedication they have and perseverence when training/performance may not be at the level they want is incredible.

Using the David Beckham example, I can't stand the man, however, he has done a lot of work for charity, and promote sport for young people. For this, a Knighthood could be warranted, but based on him being a footballer, no. In my opinion, the majority of footballers are incredibly over paid and don't achieve the same levels of fitness/motivation etc compared to Sprinters, long distance runners, rowers, even tennis players and lots more. Yes, there are those that do have talent and can kick a ball very well. I will shut up now before I go completely off topic.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Athletes aren't exactly slackers are they...I know I could never do what elite athletes can do. The dedication they have and perseverence when training/performance may not be at the level they want is incredible.

Using the David Beckham example, I can't stand the man, however, he has done a lot of work for charity, and promote sport for young people. For this, a Knighthood could be warranted, but based on him being a footballer, no. In my opinion, the majority of footballers are incredibly over paid and don't achieve the same levels of fitness/motivation etc compared to Sprinters, long distance runners, rowers, even tennis players and lots more. Yes, there are those that do have talent and can kick a ball very well. I will shut up now before I go completely off topic.
Athletes do more than we give them credit for, especially David Beckham!

To be honest, if anyone deserves Knighthood, it's him! He has literally put England on the world footballing map and proved that you can play for the biggest clubs in the world but still be down to earth.

Elanor

Registered Member
Athletes do more than we give them credit for, especially David Beckham!

To be honest, if anyone deserves Knighthood, it's him! He has literally put England on the world footballing map and proved that you can play for the biggest clubs in the world but still be down to earth.
Maybe it is my opinion of football in this country and in general, but I just can't advocate a footballer who earns £100,000+ a week deserving a knighthood. However, with Beckham I could understand it based purely on the work he does outside of football. He has used his fame and money to do good, and I can't criticise that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise General Discussion 3