• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kluber, 18 strikeouts

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Passan went on a mini rant about how injury-free vets in their late-20s, such as Kluber, who's 29, need a longer leash.

I sense he, like me wanted to see Kluber go for 21 strikeouts. I think they should have kept him in.

113 pitches, or 125, is hardly testing the limits of human endurance. The guy is 29 years old and has never been hurt. Put him back out and as soon as he doesn't strike someone out, yank him.

Thoughts?

thegreatone1964

Registered Member
When your team absolutely blows, you probably ought to protect the few assets you have. If you throw 140-150 pitches to try to break an MLB record and then develop a dead arm and suck the rest of your career, someone is gonna have some 'splainin' to do.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm honestly on the fence with this debate.

(that game hurt for us Cards fans, by the way...haha)

I do think that pitch count is analyzed far too closely in modern baseball...but at the same time, thegreatone has a great point. Cleveland has the potential to be great this year but they really need to play their cards right.

Personally, I think that if you're going for a record-breaking moment, why not let the guy keep trying. That's what I would do. But I can see both sides.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
He had 12 more last night for 30 in his last two starts that puts him in rarified air. Pedro and RJ had each had two instances of two consecutive starts with 30+ K and there may be 1 or 2 others who did it once.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
113 pitches is nothing...probably time to stop babying pitchers

FrozenTundra

I would have kept him in as well. If he doesn't k someone, yank him. He could have realistically went to 130 pitches IMO - which should have been enough.

VJ_Sportsgeek

Should have kept him in. His first couple starts were awful, but this outing was extraordinary, and as a result it would have been a morale-booster to allow him to go the whole way. Yea I get the pitch limit debate, but I honestly don't think it warrants for guys like Kluber because he isn't a hard thrower. It's one thing to limit guys who throw 97-100 mphbecause it can take an immense toll on your arm, but Kluber only throws around 93 mph so it wouldn't have affected him as much