Kites

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When I was a kid, I had this kite that looked like an eagle. It was a lot of fun, I'd fly it up pretty high. We had chickens as well, and we'd always let them out in the yard to scrounge around and stuff. Whenever I'd fly that kite, they'd all start squawking and running for the chicken coop. It was hilarious. One day the string broke though, and the kite blew away somewhere far. It sucked. I finally found it later that day. But after nosing diving from such a height, it had broken in half. :(

So what about you guys, any kite stories?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
we just had cheapy kites that usually ripped when they crashed. :hah: as much as my dad spent on replacing those POS's you'd think he probably could have just bought at least one good cloth and orange wood kite.

I do remember flying kites and it was a blast. We had just the standard spool of rope with two handles and I remember getting a pretty wicked splinter from it one time and just letting go.... lmao my kite flew near almost 2 football fields to the East, believe it or not we actually found it later that day next to the road. It was beat to hell and not usuable liek they usually were when they crashed but eh... at least I knew we hadnt abandoned it!

ancredelamour

Registered Member
My best friend and I fly kites almost every spring! And we sing the Mary Poppins song while we do it! It's the cheeziest part of my whole life but I love doing it every year!

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I've always lived in a small town area, so there's been no spots to fly kites. I've always wanted to though. :cry:

snowflake

Registered Member
I used to love flying a kite as a child. Once whilst out fliying my kite.. I don't know what happened but the kite came crashing down and hit me at the side of my eye, I still have a scar from it now. I'm lucky it didn't hit me in the eye and blind me.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I have had several kites as a kid and as an adult I now have a few power kites and trick kites. I just got a Kite boarding kit to hook up to my mountain board. Can't wit till spring to try it out.

My dad got me into kites when I was a kid, we used to go to parks and fly all our kites once or twice a month. Now that I am a dad I have started doing it with my kids.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I still kite to this day.

The kites gradually got bigger & faster from the ones I used as a kid. They also got a lot more expensive.

The largest kite I have is almost 5m squared. It only needs a light wind to lift me clean off the ground. I also have a couple of smaller ones including a 2m one easily capable of speeds in excess of 80mph. Thats my faourite.

I use them for recreation and also traction, where I take them on the tidal plains with ATR boards. I would love to take to the water and kitesurf but the cost of all the kit is to much for me at the moment.

I admit I have not used them for a few months being winter and short days here, plus I need to buy new lines as my old ones snapped when I crashed out last summer.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Me and my brother both got given kites by our parents, i had a pink girle one and my brother had one with a dinasour or something on it. We would both go outside on windy days and fly them, it was pretty fun except when i was trying to get my kite to take of one day and the wind changed direction and hit me in the face. Its funny now - back then I wasnt happy about it.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
My grandad used to take me Kite flying.

He was a very good and experienced kite flyer. He made it look effortless whereas I sucked big time, I think I broke about three of his prized kites within hours!!

He didn't mind though, infact it was used as a good bonding session before he passed away.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
My uncle had this kite, that pretty much looked like dragon and it was massive, every summer we would go out in the fields, and fly it. It was attached to a fishing rod.

I miss those days, and when I was in Serbia this year again, we did it. Good old days.