Movies Kira vs. G'kar

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Steerpike, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

This thread is meant to be for discussing the characters of Kira Nerys played by Nana Visitor on Star Trek Deep Space Nine and G'Kar played by Andreas Katsulas on Bablyon 5.

Both of these characters underwent what could be described as a spiritual journey over the course of their respective series. For those of you who know both characters, which of them underwent the greatest spiritual growth? Explain how you come to your conclusion.

For those of you who only know one character or the other, discuss the spiritual growth of the character that you know.

What you view as "spiritual" is subjective, so just dig into the characters and hopefully enjoy the discussion.

2. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

I would have to say G'Kar went through more spiritual growth. It's been years since I saw B5 and I missed a lot of DS9's episodes, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. However, I really don't recall seeing Kira's spirituality being a huge major part of the character that influenced her involvement in storylines. For G'Kar, the spiritual growth seemed to affect his actions more.

3. Steerpike

At the end of Babylon 5, G'Kar had reached the status of religious figure among the Narn. He leaves Babylon 5 with Lyta Alexander. This status would indicate how far he had come. He did learn forgiveness, which from a subjective standpoint could be considered spiritual. He even forgave Londo Mollari by the end.

Kira Nerys struggles with her spiritual life over the course of the series. In season 1, we see her talking to Kai Opaka in the episode, "Battle Lines." This appears to be her first time struggling with reconciling her past as a resistance fighter with her spiritual life. Opaka tells her she has to forgive herself first.

What else do you remember about either character's spiritual growth?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I havn’t seen deep space nine, so I’ll just write about G’Kar :)

G’Kar’s spiritual growth throughout B5 was very prominent, in my opinion, his character evolved more than most others. He began as a revenge-seeking ‘villain,’ (using the term villain light-heartedly there) but advanced into a wise religious figure among his people, like you mentioned. G’Kar learned to forgive and see past hatred and became the founder of his own religion, whether he wanted that outcome or not :hah:. (I was talking about this earlier with my friend, knowing that JMS was atheist himself, its quite interesting to see how he uses the power of religion in his script so positively. In fact the whole series is surprisingly religion-orientated despite this).

Early on, we see that spiritualism is important to G’Kar, as he became distraught when the religious celebration (cant remember what it was called) was almost sabotaged by Londo, who wouldn’t give him the flower he needed to lead his people in the ritual. However, his spirituality grew immensely when he began writing ‘the book of G’Kar’ whilst serving a 60(?) day prison sentence for his telepathic assault on Londo. The book was considered one of Narn's most holy and popular books. Also, the experience that G’Kar had with Kosh (connected telepathically as the drug wore off) changed G’Kar, what he believed to be a religious revelation from his ‘father figures,’ and he came to realise that some must be sacrificed for all to be saved. To me that is spiritual growth, maybe some would disagree I don't know...

5. Steerpike

The flower was a "G'quanteth" (sp?) to be used for the Festival of "G'quan" (sp?) Londo considered it as an ingredient for an alcoholic beverage. :lol: Where G'Kar sees it as something for an expression of his faith.

Would you say that the drug inducement of the "visions" makes G'Kar's spiritutal growth more or less "real" or does the fact of the drug not factor in?

By contrast, Kira Nerys stuggled with her faith, even accepting Benjamin Sisko as the "Emissary of the Prophets." The "genuineness" of her growth is evident over the course of the series, for example, in the episode "Duet." Like G'Kar, Kira Nerys has to deal with forgiveness in her "spiritual journey."