• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I don't know how many of you have heard about this game, but its release is sneaking up on everyone (the 7th of February), and has managed to find a way onto my serious interest list (which is somewhat crowded right now, btw).

Here's a demo video to sate your appetite:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Brigand Hall Cavern Demo

Essentially, this game is the brainchild of 38 Studios, Big Huge Games, and the EA Partners program. 38 Studios is a company founded by the legendary Curt Schilling (yes, THAT Curt Schilling). Big Huge Games is an upstart company.

What makes this game so interesting to me is that there are three HUGE names involved with the creative process. First, Ken Rolston, the lead designer of Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, is the executive designer. Second, fantasy author R.A. Salvatore created the game universe and lore, and Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn, is working on the artwork. Who can turn that down?

I've also heard the game described as a "Faster version of Fable" or "Skyrim and Fable's lovechild".

Reckoning - an open-world role-playing game | Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning <--- there's the site.

Thoughts?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I played the demo.

I loved it.

I'm broke.

feelsbadman.jpg

It's a ton of fun but the huge, glaring problem for me is that it's an EA title. Aside from the fact that it may likely require Origin to run (which is an instant deal breaker for me) I hate giving any money to those assholes.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
EA may be crazy when it comes to its Origin concept, but I think it isn't worth the fretting when it comes to a title such as this one.

I honestly think KoA:R is too unique to pass up. I haven't played the demo yet, but I will soon and will probably end up getting the game over my Spring Break (as well as ME3, hahaha).

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That looks pretty cool, I hadn't even heard of it before this thread but I'm definitely interested now. It looks a bit Dragon Ageish, but in a good way. Visually it looked stunning.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It is visually stunning, I agree.

I wouldn't go as far to say it is Dragon Ageish, but more like Fable with Skyrim elements. Could be amazing, could be a dud... I don't know. The embargo for reviews is being lifted next week, I think.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
This looks like a great game and could possibly surpass Skyrim in terms of gameplay. I like the fast paced combat that was shown in this video. It's going to be interesting to see how your decisions really do affect the world because you know with most game like these, your decisions hardly affect the world around you. I might actually pick this game up when it comes out. I am downloading the demo now.
------
So I just got done playing the demo last night and the game is awesome. It's not as in depth as Skyrim, but it has it own little perks. I already figured out how I want to do my character when the game comes out. I want to be an elf rogue and start off using the double daggers, I want to do a combo of a half warrior and half rogue like I have in Skyrim, but I don't know if that would work out in this game as well.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I've read/heard in many interviews that it is awfully easy to be a master of two styles at once due to the Destiny system they have in place.

Additionally, while I heard the early decisions do not mean much, the last 75% of the main quest has huge decisions, at least according to Schilling.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
You are right KSpice, I played the whole 45 minute playthrough once you enter the world and it looks like you can do a mix. Now my question is do the enemies level up with you like they do in Skyrim, or do they have a set level? It would be a damn shame to do a mix and realize that these enemies are stronger than you later on in the game because you decided to mix it up.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I do not know that, but I presume they level with you. In this day and age, it only makes sense for enemy AI to be that way. It's stupid to have them at set levels... but I cannot be too sure.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
So who will be getting this game on Tuesday? I don't have it reserved and I will probably just go pick it up when I wake up on Tuesday. GameStop is having a midnight release of this game and to me that is unheard of, especially since this is the first game that this new developer has produced, but at the same time it is amazing that a company that has never released a game before is getting all this attention. The demo was amazing, I just hope it can live up to the hype.