• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

King of the Ring

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm stoked...anyone who knows me around here knows that I love the concept and think that they need to bring it back...I'd rather have a PPV, though...make it a prestigious part of a PPV night.

Still, I'll take it! Now that they're bringing it back they just need to keep it yearly. Regal's win was awesome, but cheapened by the fact that he never had to defend it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Arghhh, bring back the Pay Per View. I know the buy rates weren't great, but I believe the concept could work at this day and time.

I wasn't a real fan of the last winners of King of the Ring, it gave real crappy gimmicks to William Regal and King Booker.

There's been some great wrestler who have won it:

-Bret Hart - Only wrestler to win it twice
-Ted DiBiase
-Steve Austin
-Owen Hart
-HHH
-Kurt Angle
-Randy Savage
-Harley Race
-Don Muraco - the first King of the Ring winner

There's a few others obviously, but those are the first that pop into my head.

Ziggy

Sup?
It should be a PPV and it should all be about the PPV.

This tournament is how you sky rocket someone into the stratosphere of overness.

I used to love the KOTR and to see who would win it. Plus there is no reason you can't have good matches that have nothing to do with the KOTR at the PPV.

wooly

I am the woolrus
They should definitely bring back the PPV. It was one of my favourites and judging by the reaction here it was generally well loved all round! Though I'm still really excited about this years contest because there's a lot of great talent in the WWE right now, and they seem to be showcasing the younger talent really well.

The only thing i don't like about the King of The Ring, be it a PPV or 3 hour RAW, is how they sometimes stick a lame ass "King _____" gimmick to them (like the awful King Booker) and sometimes it just doesn't work. I hope they don't do anything like that this year.

Ziggy

Sup?
King Booker wasn't too bad.

But wasn't King of the Ring sort of like the MiTB is now?

Didn't the winner get a guaranteed title shot?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's my beef with the King of the Ring...

What's the reward for winning? You get to prance around with a terrible King gimmick until they realize it sucks and they turn you back to what you were before? It should guarantee a title shot, or to be #30 in the Royal Rumble.

Or SOMETHING.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Here's my beef with the King of the Ring...

What's the reward for winning? You get to prance around with a terrible King gimmick until they realize it sucks and they turn you back to what you were before? It should guarantee a title shot, or to be #30 in the Royal Rumble.

Or SOMETHING.
See, I actually kind of like that for once it's just for bragging rights themselves. The WWE just needs to realize that they don't have to do a king gimmick with 95% of the guys that win it (overblown I know)...just giving the winner some focus and notoriety, and a more behind the scenes push, is fine with me. What I mean by that is instead of a one-time prize, just kind of giving the person a mid or even upper card push and mentioning the KOTR tourney as a starting point the whole time. It works for me.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
See, I actually kind of like that for once it's just for bragging rights themselves. The WWE just needs to realize that they don't have to do a king gimmick with 95% of the guys that win it (overblown I know)...just giving the winner some focus and notoriety, and a more behind the scenes push, is fine with me. What I mean by that is instead of a one-time prize, just kind of giving the person a mid or even upper card push and mentioning the KOTR tourney as a starting point the whole time. It works for me.
I hear what you're saying but to me bragging rights doesn't do anything for me. That's not a tangible reward. The PPV, Bragging Rights, was an atrociously stupid idea IMO and apparently the WWE agreed since they got rid of it.

I think it's a nice way to jumpstart a career but they should at least get a title shot as a result. I mean, it's an 8 person tournament, not that impressive. They need to go back to how they did it before with qualifiers and more people being involved for it to mean more to the winner.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I hear what you're saying but to me bragging rights doesn't do anything for me. That's not a tangible reward. The PPV, Bragging Rights, was an atrociously stupid idea IMO and apparently the WWE agreed since they got rid of it.

I think it's a nice way to jumpstart a career but they should at least get a title shot as a result. I mean, it's an 8 person tournament, not that impressive. They need to go back to how they did it before with qualifiers and more people being involved for it to mean more to the winner.
Hmm I hear what you're saying with that, as well.

What about this?

The winner gets a shot at the US or IC title. That can be pretty prominent, would give a small tourney more reason, and would push the titles a little more.