• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kindle Update

thealigator

Registered Member
This is partly a news story and also a warning to those with Kindles if you have not seen it already:

Mystery Kindle update will block readers from books after Wednesday

Readers will be unable to download their purchased books or buy new ones without a computer handy if they fail to update their Amazon Kindles by Wednesday. Users of Kindle models older than 2013 will need to apply an update over their device's wireless connection to install a critical fix.

Those who do not will be kicked from Amazon online properties, including the book store, and their cloud library of purchased books and documents. Amazon has sent emails to user account inboxes warning to update.
Source: The Register

I initially saw this posted on Facebook and thought it was just clickbait but it appears that this is very real and very legit. I have not seen the email that Amazon have/will send out as I use the Kindle App on my iPad rather than using a Kindle itself however as stated in the article the following appears to need to be done:

In a notice posted to the Amazon website marked urgent the book baron says devices that are not updated by 23 March will sport a generic connection error message and must be manually updated using a computer.

Manual updating will require users download their respective latest firmware files and transfer these onto the device via USB before selecting 'update your Kindle' from a menu.
The notice can be read here Amazon and having had a quick read over it it does seem quite concise.

I hope this is of help to users.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Unity Reading 13
ATARIGUY Technology 2
danwiz Reading 3
sunrise Reading 2
sunrise Technology 20