• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

killing spree solutions?

ianstarboarder

Registered Member
This thread is intended for discussing solutions to the rash of massacres that seem to plague America with evermore frequency. In my point of view neither side has it right. Liberals who want to get rid of all guns isn't the answer. Conservatives who wish to have no restrictions or responsibilities placed on arms sales seem crazy to me. If you must register, liscense and insure a car, which is one of the most useful tools ever invented, yet dangerous, then why not guns which were invented for only one purpose? I do not fear govt taking over the people, that is paranoid at best, if not bats**t crazy...after all, the govt and the military are all US citizens who mostly want this country to be the best in the world.

That being said, i would rather hear solutions to this seemingly popular fad of public massacres. I think we should have the right to have weapons. I also believe that we should be more responsible with weapon sales. I don't own a gun, but if i did i would hope i never have to use it with all my heart (other than a gun range for fun and i don't hunt, i'd rather fish). If i did buy a gun, i would expect there to be paperwork and a minimal check to make sure i'm not a violent felon, nutjob or terrorist, no big deal really. I mean, what do i have to hide? I don't plan on robbing a bank and you have to fill out paperwork for everything. I guess the big fear is the govt will come to your house first and kill you since they know you have a gun...? So, knowing that some think the US govt is trying to take over the US govt and some think guns should be banned (both seem overboard to me...well, the US taking over itself seems silly, almost mental illness silly), can a solution be found amongst those who are paranoid to the point of delusion?

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
We need to stop glorifying those who commit the massacres. The people doing it, while are most likely mentally unstable, IMO are doing it for their 15 minutes of "fame".

ianstarboarder

Registered Member
I couldn't agree more Bob, media just want to sell a product and sex and violence always sell.
------
This idea may not be realistic, but it may be a start- put a lowjack on guns that are triggered when the gun is triggered. If your gun is fired (i don't think this would affect hunting rifles, just semi auto, handguns, machine guns). If a gun is fired who wouldn't want the authorities involved? I'll tell you: criminals. This lowkack (lojack?) Would not be operational until fired, so the paranoid won't think our govt is trcking their every move wouldn't be an issue ( and if it is then you should throw away your mobile phone). I know, there are bugs with this idea, but it might be a start.....

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
While it's true that the media are selling a product, and that product is sensationalism, I disagree that the killing sprees happen because the perpetrators are looking for fame. I think it's a much more complex, deep-seated sociological problem. I think the perception is that Americans just don't care about each other, America doesn't care about its own. People aren't cared for here, the social safety net is hugely lacking. You're punished for being poor in America, you're not given a hand up, there's no equal footing. If you get sick and don't have insurance, too bad, you shouldn't be poor. It's your own fault.

I think this lack of caring, or the perception of a lack of caring (we have seen that people care about one another when disaster strikes) works its way into peoples' minds, particularly those who aren't stable to begin with, and the hopelessness and rage builds until it comes out in the form of a massacre.

Canadians own guns at the same rate that Americans do, but they do not deal with anything like this on the scale that we do. Why? When it comes down to it, that's the biggest difference between the two countries. The anger and hatred and jealousy, caused largely by socio-economic inequality; the deep political divisions; and (I'm so going to be crucified for this) the lack of access to health care. But think about it - what better way for a government to show that it doesn't care about its people than to fail to provide basic health care?

Wade8813

Registered Member
While I agree that the "15 minutes of fame" angle matters, I think it's dangerous to assume that all people have the same motivation, and that any one solution addressing that motivation will cover everything.

To be honest, if a few factors in my life had been different, I might have been one of those shooters. And it would have had NOTHING to do with fame. It was pure, blind rage; hatred aimed at people who had bullied me.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Fee-nix
It's difficult to say. I think there is a huge disconnect between people, and it's only growing. We feel connected with social media, but we spend an ever-dwindling amount of time with others. I think this increases people's sense of insecurity, loneliness, and anxiety, when these feelings may not need to be there. I think this, probably coupled with other factors, leads to general feelings of despair and invisibility, leading to anger and resentment. From there, it gets harder and harder to connect with people as a whole, and then I think mental health becomes an issue. The stigma put upon seeking mental counseling really deters people from finding help, even just in the form of talking.
This is really conjecture, but it's one theory I have. I do know this is an issue with too many people. Whether or not this applies to those that engage in shootings is not something I know for sure.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It's difficult to say. I think there is a huge disconnect between people, and it's only growing. We feel connected with social media, but we spend an ever-dwindling amount of time with others. I think this increases people's sense of insecurity, loneliness, and anxiety, when these feelings may not need to be there. I think this, probably coupled with other factors, leads to general feelings of despair and invisibility, leading to anger and resentment. From there, it gets harder and harder to connect with people as a whole, and then I think mental health becomes an issue. The stigma put upon seeking mental counseling really deters people from finding help, even just in the form of talking.
This is really conjecture, but it's one theory I have. I do know this is an issue with too many people. Whether or not this applies to those that engage in shootings is not something I know for sure.
This is pretty much in line with what I'm thinking. There's something lacking in American society.

Wade8813

Registered Member
While it's true that the media are selling a product, and that product is sensationalism, I disagree that the killing sprees happen because the perpetrators are looking for fame. I think it's a much more complex, deep-seated sociological problem. I think the perception is that Americans just don't care about each other, America doesn't care about its own. People aren't cared for here, the social safety net is hugely lacking. You're punished for being poor in America, you're not given a hand up, there's no equal footing. If you get sick and don't have insurance, too bad, you shouldn't be poor. It's your own fault.

I think this lack of caring, or the perception of a lack of caring (we have seen that people care about one another when disaster strikes) works its way into peoples' minds, particularly those who aren't stable to begin with, and the hopelessness and rage builds until it comes out in the form of a massacre.

Canadians own guns at the same rate that Americans do, but they do not deal with anything like this on the scale that we do. Why? When it comes down to it, that's the biggest difference between the two countries. The anger and hatred and jealousy, caused largely by socio-economic inequality; the deep political divisions; and (I'm so going to be crucified for this) the lack of access to health care. But think about it - what better way for a government to show that it doesn't care about its people than to fail to provide basic health care?
I think you may be on to something with a lot of this, but it's certainly not the only difference between the US and Canada.

We have a higher population, and I'm pretty sure we have more racial tension due to our history. Both can be huge contributing factors.

dDave

V.I.P.
Part of the media telling us about all of these is giving people ideas, it's not jut the 15 minutes of fame. When the media reports on shootings and massacres it causes people to think about these incidents in great detail.

I too think the problem is that Americans don't are for one another. I don think this is about the social security net though. I think it's this general culture of apathy that is evermore infiltrating the youth of the nation. We're willingly teaching the youth the wrong things but we're so blinded by our message of tolerance that we have missed it.

We've taken God out of our schools. If you teach a kid that they're the product of random chance and not intelligent, loving design can we really expect anything less?
------
For the record, I definitely agree with the right to bear arms.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know how you would solve this problem because much of the time these guns are stolen or bought by illegal means so more restrictions on legal purchases aren't going to help there. They already do a background check to make sure your not a felon so I don't think more laws in that area are going to help.

Mental issues played a big role in most of these mass murders. Until we have better mental health facilities I don't look for this to change. Then how to tell which ones are likely to go on a killing spree.

I also wouldn't want the media to ignore any mass killing but I think they should stop talking about it for weeks or months on end.