Killing Child Soldiers

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Al-Qaeda, Taliban, and quite a few other terrorist and rogue militant organizations in the Middle East and Africa are using children in combat more and more. The idea is that they have a leg up on us because we will try extra hard not to harm the children.

What should be the policy when our soldiers (whatever country you are from) confront these kids?

Treat as enemy combatants on a field of battle and shoot at them like they would anybody else or should we take extra precaution and try to capture them alive so we can try to undo the brainwashing they've been through?

2. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Depends on the situation, but at the end of the day if your platoon or whatever is getting shot at, no matter what age or gender, you have every right to take them out and in most cases that is what will happen, you must look after yourself and mates first.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

See I agree with you. It's unfortunate but at the same time you can't sacrifice yourself and others to potentially save a kid that will in turn go kill others in your unit.

You are in the army. Does Australia have an official policy on whether or not you are allowed to shoot underage enemy combatants or is an enemy just an enemy plain and simple? I think that's how it would need to be in order to be effective and keep your own safety as a priority.

4. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

It almost boils down into a "Kill the spiders to save the butterflies" situation. You can essentially kill of your entire platoon to save these children from the horror of an untimely demise but which is the ideal situation? It's to difficult of a decision to consciously make and I think ultimately it boils down to instinct. Do I want to live or not? I wonder if that is one of the questions they ask you if you enroll in the military. Basically your preparedness to eliminate all threats or not.

5. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

When a child picks up a gun to kill another person they forfeit their innocense. A soldier's decision to kill such a child shouldn't depend on their morals or conscience but rather to protect themselves and their country.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree, a child soldier isn't really any different from an adult. If you can capture them without harming them, that is ideal, but really that should be the case for any enemy regardless of age.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's war. People that think we should exercise more sensitivity truly do not understand what a war is or how it works especially when facing such a vicious enemy that would use children to do their dirtiest work. It's terrible and it's wrong and something very, very few countries would resort to.

8. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

It'd be dumb to try and capture them, that's for sure. It wouldn't take long for the other side to figure out and set up a kid to let himself get captured and then take out people from inside.

Shooting kids sucks, but I guess in the heat of battle, ya gotta look out for your fellow soldiers and just view the kid as yet another gun.

9. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Anytime your mates or yourself come under threat you are able to engage the target.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Official UK policy is to resort to shock and scare tactics. Basically unleash the biggest. loudest and most terrifying offensive without actually aiming to cause any damge, all in the hope the child soldiers will come to their senses realise they are way out of their depth and simply run away from the battlefield. Most of the kids are brainwashed but the idea is a quick burst of well aimed artillery can quickly undo the effects of brainwashing (without any fatalities). Other than that it is treat them like any other combatant and the second offensive would likely result in fatalities.