Killing an innocent to save millions?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, Apr 14, 2009.

?

What would you do if you were president?

1. Let 10 million people die in the nuclear explosion

16.7%
  2. Give into their first demand in hopes of buying time

83.3%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

[highlight]DISCLAIMER:[/highlight] A situation like this was portrayed in a popular TV show. I realize this. Please do not mention the show or plot spoilers, out of respect for those who have not seen it and may end up seeing it.

I will change up the scenario a bit regardless. The decision is still similar.

A nuclear bomb is said to be in the middle of a large city such as Los Angeles. Upwards of 10 million people will die if it goes off, not including those who will be affected by the nuclear fallout/winter that could follow. The terrorists holding the bomb have a few demands. If these demands are not met, the bomb will go off.

The first demand?

1. They want a high ranking general in the army to be executed along with his family and delivered to them.

You don't get to hear the second demand until the first demand has been met. Again, if the first demand isn't met then the bomb goes off and 10 million people are vaporized.

Giving into the demand would mean they will give you another demand. It would also mean that you might buy some time in order to find them and stop the bomb from exploding. It ALSO means that you have to sacrifice an innocent military general who has dedicated years of service to his country, not to mention his family.

You are the President. What would you do? Stick by the "we will not negotiate with terrorists" stance or give in to their first demand?

Deadline: Hours, not days.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

They want the general to be executed THEN shipped to them? If that's the case, I'd stage an execution and videotape it for the terrorists. Make it something that there'd be absolutely no chance of human recognition like grinding them in a huge meat grinder. Then put the remains in a case and ship that to them full of meat, metal shards, and explosives. If there were a second demand after that, I'd probably just use my presidental knowledge and intel to track them down and have some blackwater agents take them out.

By the way, which show was it?

Mirage likes this.
  3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

well shoot, just taking Los Angeles into consideration... the impact of a nuclear winter is even far greater than just the Civilian casualties that would be lost within the explosion. We're talking about California here, the Ag capital of the World! Having lived in Central California all my life, I completely understand and respect the concept of what happens in LA is felt where I live. We essentially get the smog and pollution from the big city that rolls in over the Tejon Ranch mountain range (aka "the Grapevine") so any type of Nuclear winter or Effect would most definitely find a way to seep into our air, thus causing a very large issue for farmers especially those closer to ground zero like Bakersfield, Porterville, and even creeping up closer to My home in Visalia, Hanford, Selma, and Fresno! If any of those farmers are hit even moderately by some sort of Pollution that destroys their ability to grow or harvest what they have that season.... the fiscal impact alone to the whole world is way to detrimental to put into a Numbers perspective (at least over my head).

I'd hate to say it, but I'd cowl down to the First Request... Offer up the 1 man in hopes buying more time for us. Hate to say it, but even if it were a friend... I dont think I can find it in myself to sacrifice that much over saving just 1 life.

4. Mirage

It's kind of implied that they'd need to have proof. For the sake of the argument the body would have to be identifiable from dental records, fingerprints, photo comparisons, etc...

It's in your rep.

You're right, it does also come down to "Killing millions to save an innocent". They way I worded it would probably leave most people inclined to automatically think about it the other way around though.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I wouldn't give in - at least for now.

I would talk to them, and explain that there's no way I can agree to their demands unless I know what they all are.

Also, is it a specific high ranking general? Or anyone in general (yuck, bad pun)? I'd try to figure out why they would care so much about the execution of the general, and why the general's family is caught up in things.

Did they set a time limit?

BTW, Hiei, I don't think the terrorists would accept unidentifiable bodies - it's too suspicious.

6. Mirage

Well Wade the problem is that it's either you give into their demands or the city is gone. Simple as that. These are some tough terrorists who can't be bothered with talking it over over a cup of tea.

I thought I posted the time limit in the OP. It would be somewhere around a few hours, no more. The idea would be to pressure you into making the decision fast. Regardless, if you didn't give in you'd see a mushroom cloud rising above LA.

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Even if they did need the identifiable human remains, you'd still have to send footage of their death. And if you can make the footage, you can fake the footage. You could even fake the dead body.

At any rate, if it came down to it, I'd sacrifice the general to see the next demand before I would stall and let them nuke one of my cities back to the radiation age.

8. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

My first though was to try and talk to them and come up with another demand that they would want instead of killing the General and all his family, I also thought of what Hiei thought of, trying to full them with the wrong body, but that's out.

Since it comes down to either kill the General and his family or Kill 10 million people I would have to say kill the General. As horrible as it is to kill an innocent man and his innocent family, this would be for the good.
    The devistation caused by wiping out LA would be much much much more worse than killing the family. We wouldn't just loose the people, but the city too, all the buildings etc which would then affect nearly every country in the world that does business with the companies that are based or have offices in LA.
    The aftershock of wiping out LA would not be an option. Plus killing the family will buy more time and that might just lead to the guilty parties being found.

Although, making this decision to kill the family will shock alot of people and loose alot of support for you if you are the President.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I think I know where this situtation is from but I didn't think it was that popular so maybe I'm wrong.. anyway, this is like the ultimate "I have no fucking idea what to do so we're all screwed" situation for me :lol: Sacrificing a few innocent people (whether it's a General + family or a homeless guy off the street, makes no difference) to save other people goes against everything I believe in and I would try and avoid it at absolutely all costs...

...Howeeever, the 10 million people that are going to die if I don't are also innocent in all of this. So I would have to sacrifice the few people to save the millions. But I seriously don't know if I could bring myself to actually make the decision, I'd be so awful in a position of power with these kind of decisions. Because of course it makes it even worse to know that this won't be the last demand of the terrorists, which makes me want to re-think my decision...

10. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

thaths the deciding factor for me. If i was sure they wouldnt set of the bomb, then yes i would sacrifice the family. If there was a chance that it was for nothing, then i wouldnt do it. It would have to be positively sure they werent gonna screw me over.