• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kid's hate Michelle Obama's healthy school lunch.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
American public school students sick of the smaller portions and healthier offerings they get at lunch thanks to Michelle Obama's anti-obesity initiatives are sounding off on social media.
Just a month after school lunch participation saw the steepest drop on record following the implementation of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, students tired of going home hungry are making sure the first lady knows why.
'I'll never forgive Michelle Obama for this school lunch,' tweeted one angry student.

Michelle Obama railed against on Twitter by students sick of smaller, healthy food portions | Mail Online
After seeing these pictures of this so called healthier school lunch I don't blame kids for being upset. It looks like crap, isn't enough and probably doesn't taste good.

If I were still in school I would have to take my lunch. If I did eat in the lunch room I would still have to take something to be sure I wasn't starving before I got home.

What about you, would you eat this? What do you think about the portions? Would you make your kid eat it?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought so too and the athletes hate it because its not near enough for them. They will end up skin and bones on this.

The idea of serving them healthier food is a good one but I don't think this is it.

I found the video they were talking about in the article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IB7NDUSBOo

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I thought so too and the athletes hate it because its not near enough for them. They will end up skin and bones on this.
This has been my concern. As a young kid I was very skinny and I wanted to pack on pounds for sports and I was advised by my doctor to eat some fat, like peanut butter sandwiches and to eat a lot on hamburger days, which I did. In high school I got to know the ladies that worked at the cafeteria, just because I would talk to them while in line and stuff, and they would give me extra hamburgers for free. I wanted that fat because I wanted to gain weight, I was running and working out at football and basketball practice after school anyway. It helped, I needed that fuel to burn.

I think this initiative is in theory a good idea, we do have an adolescent obesity problem in the US, but is not something that across the board is a good idea.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This has been my concern. As a young kid I was very skinny and I wanted to pack on pounds for sports and I was advised by my doctor to eat some fat, like peanut butter sandwiches and to eat a lot on hamburger days, which I did. In high school I got to know the ladies that worked at the cafeteria, just because I would talk to them while in line and stuff, and they would give me extra hamburgers for free. I wanted that fat because I wanted to gain weight, I was running and working out at football and basketball practice after school anyway. It helped, I needed that fuel to burn.

I think this initiative is in theory a good idea, we do have an adolescent obesity problem in the US, but is not something that across the board is a good idea.
Yes in theory this is a good idea we need to be serving our kids healthy foods at school but it needs to be executed different. The ones that are overweight should get portions and food more suited to them and the athletes should get what they need. I doubt they do that because they will see it as not being fair to the overweight kids.

I have a feeling the kids that are overweight are so because of what they get at home and that probably won't change.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's a good point, my guess would be kids are less active than they used to be and they still snack like we used to. Kids are more sedentary than they used to be, they play more video games and stay inside and they don't go outside and play ball like they used to. It doesn't have much to do with school lunches at all.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's true kids aren't as active as they use to be. Video games and computers have changed that, not to mention 200 channels on TV to watch but they still eat just as much. I don't even think some schools offer PE anymore plus I've heard some schools don't have recess for the smaller kids either. Too much liability I guess in our sue happy society.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
These lunches are not healthy. The amount of food, quality of food, and complete lack of respect for different students' needs is a disgrace. All I see is massive cost cutting at the expense of the students' health.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Wasn't this something Morgan Spurlock was arguing about over ten years ago in "Super Size Me"? I seem to remember seeing him actually offering a solution in one of the school districts of America that proved that healthy food did not have to be disgusting and it did not have to cost any more than the ordinary school lunches.

Also, is this not a decision that is made by the school boards? I don't know much so please correct me but I wouldn't have thought Michelle would have anything to do with this?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It's an initiative by the first lady. What they do is have Congress appropriate a certain sum of money to states who then appropriate it to school districts, and the catch is for the state to get the money and for the district to get the money they must follow certain calorie guidelines for lunch. Each state and each school district can refuse the funds, but Congress and the White House know most districts are hurting for money and will comply with the requirements. It's legalized extortion. Besides, if a state or a school district refuses the money, and they have a right to, they will be demonized as "not caring about kids" and "they just want their kids fat and sick" and other such ridiculous nonsense.