• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kids believing in Santa, Easter Bunny, ect,

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Before I start, just wanted to be clear that this thread is in Mature Discussions.

I don't have kids, and I when I was younger my parents made me believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause. Obviously, at a point and time I figured that they were not real.

I was wondering what are your thoughts on parents "lying" to their kids about make believe characters?

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. It's a gift that so many of us keep this giant secret and follow through with it, from household to household, no matter our backgrounds or bullshit. It's for little, little kids. It's easy. We don't have to get over think it.

Thoughts?

Alta

Registered Member
I don't really see a problem with it. It gives children something to believe in. Someone to look up to in a way. I'm mainly talking about Santa Claus. This is sorta hard for me to explain. I don't think it hurts children in any way. Everybody learns the truth eventually in their life. No one is scarred by learning the truth for more than say an hour, if at all. Once you realize you still get presents on Christmas, not many people mind. Looking back, I'd say I liked believing in Santa. Sure he's not real, but it's fun for those first ten years of life. As I already stated it's hard to explain, but I think I would like growing up believing in Santa, The Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy than not believing in them.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I don't think its any bit harmful to give them something to imagine about or be hopeful for, kids at a young age are very creative. Something such as the tooth fairy or the Easter Bunny is something that amazes them because its something out of their natural norm, some mystical creature is created and does good out of their own kindness, and gives out rewards to those who believe (candy, money, presents, etc). I would like to think of it as their first step to knowing about super hero's and what not, just at their level.

~Shwa

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
The best vacation I ever went on as a kid (well, right up until this year I guess) was based around believing in Santa. My parents took my brother and I to Lapland, Finland - it was a big resort-type place with log cabins and skiing and horse rides in the snow and meeting reindeer. The main attraction was, omg, you got to meet santa claus himself. He even gives you that toy you reeeally wanted in the store yesterday (that your parents secretly gave him beforehand).

Christmas was always better when you were younger and believed in santa, or if you have little children in the family who still do. I have so many awesome memories revolving around it, I can't begin to think that's it's a bad thing. It's not like any regular lie... I don't believe there is any child who grew up resenting or hating their parents because they told them the easter bunny exists... I don't ever remember when or how I found out none of them were real.

And like you mentioned, it's kinda cool that so many people keep up this tradition no matter their background.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't remember if I ever believed in Santa (etc). I know there were times when my parents would say "Go to bed so Santa can come", but the only times I remember that, I already knew Santa didn't exist.

Honestly, I don't think I would have cared much. I was greedy, and just wanted gifts. I didn't care where they came from.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see anything wrong with it. Its fun for little kids, let them have their magical time while they can. When they get older they usually figure it out and I don't think any harm has been done.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I let my kids believe it, but I couldn't wait until it was over. It really doesn't suit me...these pretend characters. My husband totally got into it though. Plus, we were major fails about the tooth fairy thing. There were many times we would forget. So then we had to make up pretend stories about why the pretend tooth fairy forgot.

Generally, I don't see any harm in it. It's very temporary.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Parent's have been lying about things that don't exist for years. Santa, Easter Bunny, God and other deities. I don't really see too much of an issue with it. Children grow up, learn more about the world and make up their own minds about what they want to believe. This is just a bit of fun for when they are younger. Sometimes it's nice to believe in fantasy make-believe things when you are young before you grow up and realise how screwed up the world really is.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think the most beautiful response to whether Santa Claus exists was when in 1908 Virginia O' Hanlon wrote to the New York Sun and the editor responded "Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus" and went on to explain. One of the things the editor said was "He exists as most certainly love and generosity and devotion exist" and "the most real things in the world are those that neither children or men can see". It was a beautiful response and I encourage everyone to google it.

Every year my church does a bike drive and we'll go out a couple of days before Christmas and hand out about 60 bikes and other toys to kids in some really impoverished neighborhoods. The look on their faces is priceless, and to me that's what Santa Claus and the love of Christmas is all about. So no, I do not believe teaching kids these things is a bad thing, love and generosity are all good things to instill in children in my opinion.