Kids and sports

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by AngelsPeak, Sep 4, 2008.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

What do you think is a good age for kids to get into sports? Should a parent be the one to decide what the child will be playing, or should they wait until the child is old enough to decide themselves?
    All 3 of my girls started soccer at the age of 4, which was my choice. Only 1 stuck with it and 9 years later she's an amazing goalie.
    Obviously I would never make them stay in a sport they didn't like, but what about those parents who push and push their children to be the best?

2. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

For my family grades come first. If my boys are getting good grades then I have no problem with them getting into any sport that interests them.

My oldest who is nine is starting to take interests into BMX Big time(he is not bad too). He is going to try out for a team this fall. But if his grades suffer then off the team he goes.

I would have to say that each child is different and could start at any age. I can't stand parents who relive their former sports glory days through their kids.

3. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I am defently getting mine into soccer from 3rd age, but into footy around 4 or 5 years old.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I wish my parents tried to push me into getting into more sports activities. They never cared so I just took whatever I wanted later. I didn't excel much, lol.

I'm exposing my kids to different activities during pre-school. There's a program here for 5-6yo that introduces them to several sports. I'll ask my son which one he likes the most and try to get him into courses. Right now he just knows them by watching on the telly. When I ask him which one he likes, he said baseball. I'll see if his answer changes when he actually gets to try out the different sports.

I won't push them based on what I want for them - if it were the case, all my kids would end up being classical singers. :lol:

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's a good idea to get children into sports as young as 4 or 5 because it helps instill values of team play, perseverance, exercise, and fun competitive play. With the kids of total massively overweight as it is, part of me thinks that sports should be mandatory seeing how we live our lives.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Kids should start playing sports as soon as they show interest in it. I think parents should encourage their children to play several different sports, but ultimately it should be the kid's decision which one(s) he or she wants to stick with. Parents who push their children to play a certain sport and to be the best are trying to live their own dream through the child, and I don't think that's fair.

7. Aella

Aella Registered Member

I have never pushed my children into any sports, the only 'sport' my daughter did was dance classes but that was only for a couple of years but my son is sports crazy, he started football at 4 and that is the only one he still plays now, over the years he has done motorx, crosscountry, basketball, rugby, hockey and a few months ago he took up boxing briefly which i hated.
    Sports are good for children, not only to keep them fit but also for the social aspect.

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Personally I started playing sports in 5th grade (I know that's late) but before then I had done a lot of running so I guess that I have always been athletic.

Soccer was my first sport, I still play it, and like it, I was really sad when I couldn't play in 8th grade because of a serious hip flexor injury, then for some reason I did cross country instead of Soccer in 9th grade, but now in 10th grade I'm back where I belong playing soccer. :)

I know a guy at school who has been wrestling literally since the day that he first learned to walk, his dad is really proud to say that, now some 13-14 years later he is the most amazing wrestler I have ever met.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

That doesn't really answer the question at all.