Keys that I don't know what they do

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Xilmwa, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

Um, I have some keys that I don't have a clue what they do.

They are:
    F13 F14 and F15

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I believe those are extra F keys that do nothing, if you are using a PC keyboard that is.

Otherwise they may have been added to your keyboard so that future OS's could take advantage of them. That way people wouldn't have to buy new keyboards. Most people don't have anything higher than F12 though.

Standard keyboards go from F1-F12.

That is unless your PrtScn/SysRq, ScrLk, and Pause/Break keys were replaced with F13, F14, and F15 on your keyboard.

I don't think I've actually ever seen F13-15 on a PC keyboard.

Do you have an Apple keyboard? Those go up to F16. I'm guessing you would have included F16 in your question if you had that..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I'd guess that you can assign them to something in games.

If you're using a mac then I know that F14 and F15 adjust the brightness level of the screen.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

They're for mapping functions, either for games or combinations of keys (say shift-command-s if you want a Save As button).

5. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

I do have an Apple Pro Keyboard, but no, it stops at F15.

6. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I have no idea what does INS means on my keyboard.

7. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

Strangely, I don't have an insert key.

I have a help key though.

8. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

What are the keys on either side of the Alt keys ??

Also

Right side of the keyboard,The key below the shift key and to the left of Ctrl key, there is an arrow and a small image or pic on the key in question

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Insert is a fairly useless key for modern day computers.

Basically, insert is ON by default, meaning that if you bring the cursor back into the middle of a line of text, anything you type will be "inserted" into the line of text without overwriting the following text.

If you push the insert key then you will essentially switch your keyboard to "overwrite/overscript mode", which will REPLACE letters as you type.

Go into a text editor if you want to try it out. A lot of newer programs will just use insert mode by default and not even recognized whether or not the insert key has been pressed or not. I know older versions of Microsoft Word recognized it. Not sure about the newest.

Google Chrome also does not recognize it while I believe Firefox and IE still do.

To this day I cannot think of a use or need for the Insert key.

10. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

Well, for me, those are the Option keys, and to the side of those are the Apple/Clover/Command keys.

On a standard keyboard, they are the "windows" keys, unless you are a Linux user, then it is more proper to call them Super keys.

Basically, on Windows, the Windows key does the same as CTRL+ESC (pops up the start menu)