Keyboard & Mouse vs Controller

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nevyrmoore, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Thinking more about a certain MW2 thread, I got to wondering which is truly better, and I think I have the answer - it depends on what you're playing.

Lets take something like MW2 or TF2, arcade-ish games. In them, your reaction time is pretty much vital, as well as some degree of accuracy (you need to actually put lead to target, right?). And if you're fiddling around with several keys on the keyboard, trying to find the one that gets out your secondary weapon rather than your sniper rifle, then you're going to be boned, right? However, if you have all the buttons nicely mapped out on a controller, making it easier to do whatever it is you're trying to do, then you're more likely to stay alive. In these cases, I think the controller has an advantage.

But what about games like ArmA? Here, reaction time isn't needed too much, considering it's actually possible to kill someone by crawling slowly up to their flank. What's needed most is accuracy, because if you fuck up and miss, the enemy is going to know you're there, and chances are, he's going to have backup. Generally, you'll get better accuracy from a mouse than from a control stick, so here, that wins out...unless you can somehow make some sort of controller-mouse hybrid, or something.

So what are your thoughts? Is one truly better than the other, or am I on the right track?

2. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

I would only Use a mouse and a KB for FPS and RTS games. For everything else i prefer the Controller. It comes with practice and the hardware one has uses the most during its gaming years, Since i use more the controller i learned to be faster with it.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I was raised on the keyboard and mouse so I feel more comfortable that way. That hasn't stopped me however from getting pretty good with a controller. If I had a computer that could play Modern Warfare 2, I'd use my computer but I do not.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Controller without a doubt.

I've weathered the time of the Atari joystick and one button to the Classic NES Controller Box all the way on up to the PS3 Sixaxis. Although I feel comfortable with a keyboard and mouse, I've always been and always will be more comfortable putting my thumbs to use with something more than just a space bar.

For me, Controller wins hands down. The only time I ever dont immediately plug a USB controller into my PC is when I put on my Arm Chair General Hat and play some RTS games like Command and Conquer or Civilizations.

5. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

It really depends on the games. For games like halo, mw2, madden and most racing games, I really prefer a controller. But for games like doom, unreal tournament, and all RTS's I prefer a mouse and keyboard. Even battlefield as well. Anything that requires lots of commands mapped to buttons, I prefer the mouse and keyboard.

6. knoxbox

knoxbox Registered Member

benefits to kb / mouse is you have better acuracy with a kb / mouse then two analog sticks... remember fps games originated on the computer... i never would have to fiddle to find a key on a keyboard... you can virtually map the controls how you want or see fit. i would own asshole on mw2 if i could use a kb/mouse on my 360.

controller and fps games = clumbsy to me... sure people have mastered it, but thats a totally different generation than mine... i grew up playing wolf3d, doom, quake, duke, quake 3d, unreal tournament, and eventually counter-strike (best fps even to this day in my opinion) i'd own asshole on a kb and mouse...

but unfortunately for me all my friends play games on 360... so i am forced to use a controller, and i just can't make the merge to console... i wish their was a way my kb / mouse would work on the 360 as a controller... you can use a usb kebyoard to type but nothing more :(

7. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Controller.

I've played many different PC games (mainly MMORPGs) and even after a few months of playing I still need to check the keyboard for the correct keys to press. For the controller I can easily master it within a day or two while PC I have yet to master with any game. haha =)

8. knoxbox

don't know how old you are, but i feel its a generational gap... im 26 i grew up were gaming was done mostly on computer well FPS games... and my friends who are 18-20 mostly grew up with fps on console... while my generation was mastering the keyboard and mouse my friends generation was mastering the controller....

this isn't completely true but is in my case... i played games on consoles too but during the era were fps were first comin to console i was like i hate how this is... easier just to move the mouse around to aim so i didn't even attempt now that im attempting is epic fail for me lol.

9. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I'm 25. lol - I grew up on games like StarCraft, Unreal Tournament, Delta Force, SimCity and what have you.

The main problem I have is that the keyboard isn't comfortable in my hand, rather it gives me cramps trying to press different keys across the keyboard. That's my main problem dealing with PC games.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. knoxbox

that odd most people i know in my age range perfer a keyboard and mouse to a controller anyday..

of course i don't find a keyboard or mouse uncomfortable... nor do i find a controller uncomfortable...