• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kessel or Pacioretty

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Since we have a few habs and leafs fans here, I was wondering your thoughts.

Who's the better overall player? Please give me a reasoning behind your pick. No bias please.

Cook Meister

I'm a Habs fan but It's obviously Kessel especially after Paci disappeared in the Playoffs. I would take Kessel over him any day. But I guess the Leafs have to make the Playoffs before we see how clutch he is ha ha

Crypticshock

Registered Member
...Kessel disappears in the playoffs too. As early as April 15th.

I pick Pacioretty. Really simple. Pacioretty plays all areas of the ice. He is not a cherry picker like Kessel. Penalty kill, power play, backcheck... Pacioretty does it all. Kessel is only good at being a lumberjack.

Right now, I'd have to pick Pacioretty simply because he can do more things on the ice than Kessel who seems to only give it a go when it's at his advantage. Granted, I'd love to see Patch perform better in the playoffs but at least, he's had the opportunity to lead the Habs to the playoffs, which cannot be said for Phil Kessel. And which makes it even more strange for me that Shanahan has put Kessel in one of his only 4 untouchable guys on the Leafs roster.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
EdgeHead said:
Right now, I'd have to pick Pacioretty simply because he can do more things on the ice than Kessel who seems to only give it a go when it's at his advantage. Granted, I'd love to see Patch perform better in the playoffs but at least, he's had the opportunity to lead the Habs to the playoffs, which cannot be said for Phil Kessel. And which makes it even more strange for me that Shanahan has put Kessel in one of his only 4 untouchable guys on the Leafs roster.
Pacioretty has like 14 points in his first 21 playoff games. Guy LaFleur had 19 points in his first 29. Sure... we wish Pacioretty could have done more but... look at it. He was the main target in every series. The Boston series he was getting hit a silly amount of times. His centre man is not tall enough to get on the bumper cars. If Montreal had a second line as powerful as the Pacioretty line was in the regular season, then he could have had a chance to do more. Leafs were a higher scoring team yet Pacioretty had more goals than Kessel.

Here, compare the splits. Pacioretty is a better all around player with less ice time than Kessel.

Kessel: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=84 ... iew=splits
Pacioretty: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=84 ... iew=splits

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Everyone pretty much hit the nail on it's head. No denying Kessel's talents but when it comes to doing everything on the ice Pacioretty is your guy. But I'm willing to bet that around the league Kessel is viewed the better player.

VJ_Sportsgeek

Easily Pac. I like Kessel, but in terms of overall game, Pac kills him. Scoring, defense, toughness, transition, everything. And contract too