• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kerry Wood 20 Strikeout performance

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This story is about a year old, but I just ran into it for the first time this morning. It's an interesting hindsight look at what many regard as the greatest game ever pitched:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=23059

Wood induced 24 swinging strikes in the game, which is not off the charts by any means.
The home plate umpire was giving him three inches off the outside corner the entire game, which Wood has acknowledged and which would like not happen today but was normal back then.

It's incredible that he didn't walk anyone, considering how far out of the zone he was on his misses. (He did hit a batter, Craig Biggio.)

rolewiii

Yeah, but everyone hit Craig Biggio. I managed to do it in a rec league game a few years back, somehow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Breaking News 1
K Introductions 5
Vidic15 Bathroom Wall 1
Babe_Ruth Baseball 9
Kazmarov Politics & Law 5