• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Keeping Mementos

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
If you've ever been in a relationship that lasted any decent length of time, you've probably accumulated little things that remind you of your partner. That, or your partner has given you keepsake gifts.

My question is this: Once the relationship ends, are you the type to hold onto the objects or clear out the memories and move on?

I've never been one to hold onto things and when a relationship ends, I don't want anything around to remind me of that person. I'll either throw the items away or give them back to the giver.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I get rid of everything, I don't want to sit there and see objects that bring back the memories.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I suppose it depends if the memories are good or bad memories. I haven't really had any long relationships so I haven't had to worry about this.

Nibbles

meep
If the relationship turned sour I'd sell or throw away those knick knacks.
When the relationship was meaningful it would be worth to keep something.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I'll give everything back that is returnable. For the little random things, I'd throw them out if the relationship ended on bad terms or I was finding it hard to get over.

If I own any memento of them that still makes me smile, then I'll keep it.

k3rm0r

Registered Member
I basicly just put em away. Might regret it later on, cuz it was nice when it lasted. but i doubth i'll take em up again.. gues it's just a hmm.. loft items now. It always depends on how it ended, and what happened while it lasted.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I keep everything in my current relationship so if I had an ex I'm sure I would keep things. Unless it was a really horrible break up.
I keep cards, letters, tickets etc. Lots of things.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I basicly just put em away. Might regret it later on, cuz it was nice when it lasted. but i doubth i'll take em up again.. gues it's just a hmm.. loft items now. It always depends on how it ended, and what happened while it lasted.
That's what I've done.

I've been in two, kinda long term relationships and I kept some of the stuff I got but I put it out of sight so that I didnt bring up any feelings or whatever. If I were to dig it up and see it now it wouldnt make me sad in the slightest bit because I'm over it all at this point. Out of sight, out of mind.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Get a box. Put them there...then put it in a storage. Leave the storage elsewhere (your friend or parent's house). If kids are involved then sometimse they like to look at these old stuff, reminisce how their parents met, etc.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't like getting rid of things that have memories attached to them, so I would just put them away and maybe stumble upon them years down the road.