Keep it tidy!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EllyDicious, Sep 28, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

If you live with your parents, do they interfere in the way you keep your room? Do they tell you to keep it tidy, to do this and that? If yes, how do you feel about that?

If you're a parent and living with kids, do you tell them to keep their room tidy?

Mom always tells me to keep it tidy and I hate the fact that she interferes in the way I keep MY room. As long as I'm not sharing it with any one , I don't think it's her business.
    Actually, I just argued with her about this.

2. Dabs

Dabs Registered Member

I haven't lived at home with my Mother and Dad since I was 15, at that time, I got married.
    But when I did live at home, my Dad (he was my SF) was very strict, so yes, my room was always immaculate.
    I guess that's why I like everything to be tidy and organized now in my life.
    All 4 of my children were pretty good about keeping their rooms clean, but I will say, my 3 boys are way much better at keeping their homes nice and clean, over my one and only daughter.
    She makes me so mad sometimes the way she keeps house~

3. EllyDicious

Keeping the house and keeping the room are 2 different things.
    You have to keep your house tidy when you live with other people, but regarding your room....well...I don't think that's anyone's business.

But I could be wrong. Don't know.

4. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

I live in the basement. I am in charge of everything down here, including my personal space. I do all the laundry as well (we have a chute), so she never has to even come down here.

Not that she'll have to be worried, I am neat & clean. In fact I am easily bothered by stuff and often move my around a lot. People who have seen me on webcam time from time probably notice.

It's weird, I am the neatest person in the family aside from my aunt. My grandma is very careless with the upstairs, because we have a maid come over every other Sunday -- So she often leaves dishes piling up and whatnot. Not to mention we have birds, and they throw seeds and feathers in a good radius. It doesn't bother me, I only worry about my personal space. Sometimes I do dishes and mop, if it's really bad, otherwise I'm not responsible for the area and not going to bother if she's going to pay someone else to clean, anyways.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Elly, your mother does have the right to tell you to keep your room tidy and in a organized fashion. You might not like it, and trust me it bothered me when my parents told me to do so. But you have to remember that the house belongs to them, meaning that the room is there's too, you just "rent it" while you're living there.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

My mom spoiled me and used to clean my room whenever it got messy. I didn't have to worry about it until 18 or so. :D

While I don't mind living in my own mess, I HATE living in other peoples mess. I forbid it. They need to clean their mess up 'cuz seeing their crap all over the place irritates me.

7. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

When I lived at home still, I rarely spend time in my room other than sleeping, so there was never really a mess. The only thing my parents had me do was make my bed every morning, which I did. Now that I'm on my own, my room is a bit messy, but nothing too bad.

8. EllyDicious

Disagreed. When you give your house for rent to another family, you don't go over there telling them how to keep it tidy, how to do this or that. They have the right to organize their own space as they wish, AS LONG AS they don't harm/cause any damage to the building and the neighbors.

It goes the same for my room. Within those walls, I can arrange my space the way I want to and if I ever rented the room for real, I'd still manage it according to my way because that's why I give the money for.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

You don't tell them how to keep the house tidy, but you do have ground rules that they need to follow. For an example, no painting the walls.

Do you actually pay rent to live at your parents house? If you don't then, sorry your parents have the right to tell you what to do with your room, and honestly if you do pay rent, I still believe they have the right since it's technically their house. It's under their name, not yours.

10. EllyDicious

As I told you, painting the walls is not related to how you organize your space. Painting has to do with the additions/changes you want to make to your space, which should be done by the owner's permission.
    But tidiness and the way you live your life in that space is not any owner's business.

No, I don't. It's not in our culture to pay rent to our parents.
    Even when they have another property somewhere else, they give it to us for free.