Movies Keanu wants to make a live action Cowboy Bebop movie

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Ryuk, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Ooooooooooooooooooook then, rant forthcoming.

This is just part of a long continuing discussion about animes being made into live action movies, the typical assesment being that about 95% of the animes out there can be made live action but the real question being do you want to see it happen? In most cases now thanks to Speed Racer and Dragonball and because Hollywood is so short of ideas at this point, it's going to happen.

But to focus on the topic at hand for now - Bebop is one of my favorite animes of all time. There have been whispers and rumors of an american live action movie for years now and a few months back from what I heard there was a green light to produce the movie. I still stand by my initial statement - You cannot do Cowboy Bebop as a movie and pull it off succesfully in a two hour span (for me this statement applies to most rumored animes to movies) and sequels are no guarantee. The way I've pictured it the only way to possibly pull it off is three movies, possibly going two and a half hours, and even then it has a ton of splicing from the original story. Add in that you still need the music of Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts which for whatever reason I don't see Hollywood doing (replacing it with as much mainstream bullshit as they can).

Casting would be pretty brutal also, though I can picture a few playing the main characters I don't see Keanu as Spike. And I appreciate that this is a fan of the series who wants to do everything in his power to stay true to it, but he's too monotone to pull off the part. Just to throw out a name Ray Park would be a better option and even there it's not a good choice

2. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

What if it was treated as a standalone story in the CB universe?

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

He can still go suck a cock either way.

4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

My main problem if Keanu was Spike is the whole voice thing. When a movie is made about someones life or a past show, I like them to look almost exactly like who they are portraying and they have to sound exactly like the person.

(Example, the upcoming movie Notorious about the life and death of Biggy Smalls. I don't like who they have portraying TuPac and Puffy because they look nothing like them.)

Anyways. Cowboy Bebop was one of the first Animes that I watched and got me into Anime and I would hate to see it dismantled like they are going to do with the Dragonball Z live action movie.
    ------
    After thinking about it, I could see Jack Nicholson as Jet and cut her hair and dye it purple, Scarlett J. because she's got nice boobies :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

It's the anime apocolypse! Bebop, Dragonball, GITS and AKIRA!!!

This really needs to stop, if there really needed to be live action movies Japan would have done it by now.

And youre right, they would still need Yoko and the Seatbelts-othewise it's just not Bebop

6. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

X-actly. And to be honest, based off this I don't see anyone who could portray Spike (at least amongst known actors).

7. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Keanu has no emotion what so ever, which is why he was barely perfect for the Matrix Trilogy and the new movie that's out. He shouldn't even be considered for any roles if there were to be a Cowboy Bebop live action movie, I can think of plenty of other people who can play the parts:

Catherine Zeeta-Jones would make a good Faye Velentine
    Michael Duncan would make an excellent Jet

~Shwa

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

He would make a good one but you know the hardcore fans would be like.. oh no, but he's black.. Jet was white!

I can just picture him being Jet and it seems like it would fit well.

9. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

And lest we forget - Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, One Piece, and Death Note are all on the docket in Hollywood in some way at this point.

I'll be fair with one of these though - I can live with a live action Death Note and yes that's mainly because I saw the first live action movie from Japan and outside of the CGI work on Ryuk which I think could of been better I openly admit that I thought they did a good job.

After that though forget it, you really can't tell any of these stories and do them justice in a mere two hour timeframe. Heck you couldn't even do that with Death Note.
    ------
    Holy crap, there's actually someone else out there who agrees with me on this one!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  10. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Jet is white!??! Hmm.....never saw that really, I always thought he was like a like skinned black guy. Oh well, I would still vote for Michanel Duncan anyways ^-^

~Shwa