• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Karma - real or all in your head?

Merricles

Registered Member
Normally this would be posted in 'religion' I think, however since I am more of a science guy I chose to post here. The question I pose is simple, does karma exist or is it all simply a thought process? I used to believe that everything happens for a reason, but now I kinda don't. The idea that somewhere there is a type of 'score keeper' maintaining a record of all our negative deeds towards the world and other we encounter, simply to return the favor seems far fetched to me. We all have regrets, and we all have at some point in our lives done something we knew was wrong before we even did it. Many of us do this on a daily basis. As one might guess, at present moment I am in a place of personal punishment, and like so many people do I am trying to find meaning in that, so I turn to you. Is karma real and can you offer proof? Is my current situation because of my past sins, or is it simply a matter of fate that was completely beyond my control?

Last edited:

LucyLi

Registered Member
I have given this considerable thought lately. I have concluded that Karma is wishful thinking in the main or, as it may be in your case, a form of self punishment. We like to think that those who have wronged us will be punished. I recently wished that someone would fall out of a plane and break their leg, the next day they broke their foot skydiving (it sounds harsh, but it is a story best not told). Two weeks ago I broke my own foot. So, I considered whether this was indeed Karma, and if so did Karma only work like for like. I realised that I wanted Karma to be the cause because it signified justice rather than pure chance, if you skydive you are likely to break something, if you don't look where you're going when walking along an embankment then you are likely to break something. That is pure chance, or coincidence if you will. I do believe that bad deeds rarely go unpunished though, not as a result of Karma, but as a result of human nature. People will only put up with so much and then they will walk away from you or retaliate, good things rarely happen to bad people for the simple reason that good people give up on them eventually.

Did that make any sense at all? I am not used to typing my thoughts out and it seems a bit disjointed.

Merricles

Registered Member
I have given this considerable thought lately. I have concluded that Karma is wishful thinking in the main or, as it may be in your case, a form of self punishment. We like to think that those who have wronged us will be punished. I recently wished that someone would fall out of a plane and break their leg, the next day they broke their foot skydiving (it sounds harsh, but it is a story best not told). Two weeks ago I broke my own foot. So, I considered whether this was indeed Karma, and if so did Karma only work like for like. I realised that I wanted Karma to be the cause because it signified justice rather than pure chance, if you skydive you are likely to break something, if you don't look where you're going when walking along an embankment then you are likely to break something. That is pure chance, or coincidence if you will. I do believe that bad deeds rarely go unpunished though, not as a result of Karma, but as a result of human nature. People will only put up with so much and then they will walk away from you or retaliate, good things rarely happen to bad people for the simple reason that good people give up on them eventually.

Did that make any sense at all? I am not used to typing my thoughts out and it seems a bit disjointed.

yes your post made sense lucy. i am not saying i believe in karma, but more that i am open to the idea that it 'could' possibly exist. i still find it hard to believe in, i just wonder if there is proof out there one way or the other. i understand when it comes to believe, proof is in the opinion of the believer, same as religion. for example is that jesus face on my toast of just the way the toaster burnt it?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I think there's psychological and sociological evidence that something along the lines of karma should take place. For example, stress is known to be a major cause of health problems, and altruistic acts have been demonstrated to make people happy and thus presumably less stressed. So there's one example of how something along the lines of karma could take place. All the same, I don't believe in some mystical force sorta karma, just that things often tend to work out where people reap what they sow.

LucyLi

Registered Member
That toaster could make you a lot of money ;) I agree though, and whether it be 'what goes around comes around' or Karma or even smiting, the proof is often subjective.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say ExpectantlyIronic, but so much more succinct.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I agree with EI - Karma = you reap what you sow.

Karma isn't a cosmic scorekeeper, and everything doesn't happen for a reason. I think that things happen the way they should, but not necessarily for a concrete reason you can point to. The difference is subtle, but it is there.

Merricles

Registered Member
Seems everyone agrees, karma does not exist. Doesn't make me feel any better at the moment. Still haven't decided if the current issues I face are some sort of cosmic balance for something wrong I have done in the past. I would just like to find reason in what I do face. Something/someone to point at and say 'yeah, that's where it all started and now I must suffer because of my actions/inactions at that'. I suppose cosmic balance isn't really the term I feel/think, but at the moment I wouldn't know how to convey the exact thoughts in my mind.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
People who believe in Karma are likely to see it. It's as simple as that really. We can attribute meaning and reason to the events that befall us or we can accept that things just happen which happens to be the category I fall into.

Dabs

Registered Member
What comes around, goes around..or is it, what goes around, come around.
Anyway, I believe shit can come back ta ya, ten times.
For instance, if you have a habit of slicing tires or removing the entire valve stem so that a person has to keep getting air in their tires, chances are, you are going to end up having some tire trouble of your own down the road. (I know this to be true).

shelgarr

Registered Member
Good comes to those that spread good. It's not that it's a reward, but rather that it's the natural order of interactions. If someone is a jerk, people react negatively. It's really hard to be negative toward someone that is nice. Probably the biggest challenge of creating good karma is to be able to maintain our morality of good behavior and good attitude even in the face of others being mean or unfair.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Konshentz General Discussion 6
The_Chameleon Religion & Philosophy 4
Millz Offbeat News 6
sunrise General Discussion 4
FindMuck Dating & Relationships 9