Karl Malone

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, May 30, 2006.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Deeret News - Since Karl Malone retired from the NBA in 2004, he has received offers from multiple teams, including the New Orleans Hornets , to join their front office in some sort of capacity.

"Am I looking one day to be more involved and more active in (basketball)? Absolutely," Malone said as he sat at the Jazz's practice facility after helping franchise brass assess four first-round prospects. "But it's just a step  kind of like starting off again, at the same place.

"I don't mind starting at the bottom, being on the sideline," he added. "When I came out of college (Louisiana Tech, in 1985), I did the same thing."

"I've been talking to the Jazz, really, for the last couple months," he said. "They called, and (asked) would I be interested in coming up and seeing what I think. And I said, 'Why not?'

"This is the reason I came," Malone added. "I wasn't 'passing through.' ... I have ambitions of things that I would like to try. It's 'a step.'

"I know being a coach  assistant, head coach, whatever  that's 'the grind' all over again," he said. "Another level, you have a little more leeway.

"I don't know if it will be 'full-time,'" Malone added. "In some capacity, who know? I'm not saying I'm throwing my hat in the ring. But it would have to be the right situation for me. And it would have to be the right situation for a team."

2. scottmcgrady

scottmcgrady Guest

Karl Malone is one of the all time greats and I'm sure he could definitely help someone or people for teams because he was amazing and has so much to pass on to people. I would really like to see it happen and Karl Malone sounds like he would be happy doing it

3. Midnight

Midnight Guest

Karl Malone would really benefit as an assistant specifically for bigmen on the Jazz. He can teach them boxout, post moves and defense. He can be used in a similar role as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on the Lakers or Patrick Ewing on Houston.

I dont envision him as head coach, but maybe in the front office of some team.

4. Babe_Ruth

I was going to say the same thing that you said Midnight, teach young players to become better players like Kareem is doing for Bynum and Kwame, and what Ewing did with Yao. He was a great player in this league, and I am sure he can help develop young studs. Also I see him maybe as an assistant but not a head coach. I am sure he can help a team in lots of ways.

5. T-Bag

T-Bag Guest

Malone would be a great mentor for any young post player.Would the help come for young guys scoring,rebounding,blocking or flopping,it would be a great help for him.Im still wondering how Malone managed to stay healthy as long as he did while playing so dirty.

6. I've never liked the "Mail Man," I dont see him as a great player either, sure he was good, but I dont think he was that great.

7. Babe_Ruth

I hate Karl Malone, I actually couldn't stand Karl Malone. But I also couldn't deny is talents. He knows the game like the back of is hand and he'd be a great teacher to young players coming in the league. He as the knowldge and the experience to help them.

8. I dont like him very well either, he is good, but I dont think he is great like I said before.

9. Midnight

Midnight Guest

He wasnt all that skilled or talented. The man just worked his ass off everyday during his career. Obviously that brought great results.

Even if it's a piece of advice, it would still be valuable to a young player trying to work his way up.