• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kariya announces his retirement after 15 seasons in nhl

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kariya announces his retirement after 15 seasons in NHL

Definitely a shamed, he's a case of what could of been if he didn't suffer concussions. He missed so many games, and he would of definitely eclipsed the 500 goals plateau if he was healthy and played longer than fifteen years. He was so smooth and fast on those skates and he could put the puck in the net. I enjoyed watching him play for Team Canada and the Ducks, and I'm sure Unity and Millz appreciated him in St Louis.

The game lost a good guy yesterday, hopefully he remains in the sport somehow.

I wonder if he'll get in the Hall of Fame.

Vegito728

Registered Member
It sucks that this is how his career came to an end. He's a great player, a ton of fun to watch play, especially skate.

I just hope the same thing doesn't end up happening to David Perron. I love the kid but he can't seem to get past the post concussion symptoms.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't know you followed Hockey Tyler, good to know.

I understand where you're coming from with Perron, he's young so the Blues can't rush him, let him take all the time he needs to heal up. I'm a huge fan of his too, have been following him for a while. He's really talented and I hope like you I hope he doesn't have the same fatehas Kariya.

The latest report I've read is that he's feeling better but he's not ready to start his off-season workouts just yet...but that was back in May.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I honestly think that Paul Kariya has a spot on a Bench somewhere coaching. I remember interviews with him back in the day and he was always a very lively, well spoken, exuberant guy.

The kind of Talent that the NHL would be STUPID to lose via Retirement into oblivion.

I hope he takes a few years off from Pro Hockey... then comes back as a commentator or even better as a Coach or some part of Staff somewhere.

Always liked Kariya, Sad day to see him hang the skates up, but the game must go on.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that the game must go on, but I just hate it when players have to retire early due to concussions. Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya being the main two ones and it looks like it's going to happen to Marc Savard too. I hate the guy with a passion but I hate to see him leave the game due to a concussion while he's still in his prime.

When it comes to guys like Kariya and Lindros who put up incredible numbers in a short time in the NHL(I know Kariya had a 15 year career) do you look at them and say "even though there numbers don't really scream out Hall of Fame numbers" you let them in since they were superstars that had to retire early due to injuries.