• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Kaepernick sits out national anthem

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick made waves with his preseason debut Friday evening against the Packers, but not on account of his performance. The 28-year-old Super Bowl vet caused a stir after it was reported that he sat down instead of standing when the national anthem was played prior to Friday’s game in Green Bay.
Colin Kaepernick, 49ers quarterback, sits out national anthem; team defends his constitutional right

Personally I think his reasons for doing this is BS. He should have stood. Nothing wrong with supporting a cause but if he really cares that much it would do more good if he got involved personally instead of pissing people off.

Thoughts?

Impaired

Registered Member
He's a smacked ass.

edit: Let me add that the folks who compare him to Cassius Clay are nuts. He took a stand, refused the draft, went to jail and lost 4 years of the prime of his life where he was not allowed to do the sport he was the greatest in - no comparison.

What does Colin give up by sitting down?

Nothing.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I honestly don't care. He can do whatever he wants, for whatever reason he wants. I think the outrage on the internet is hilarious. Everyone will forget about this by next week.

*shrug*

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only people dumber than Kaepernick are the ones who think this stunt was his idea.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm going to *shrug* like Kons on this one. Whether or not I agree with him doing that, it's his freedom to do it. Freedom of expression doesn't have to always be something that everyone agrees with. And if the public mostly does not, we don't have to make such a huge deal about it. I think the issue is just so hot button that it gets a lot of quick and fired up reaction from a lot of people. I'd rather see a player trying to advocate for what he sees as meaningful social change than a player that's shooting himself accidentally with a gun in a nightclub or getting charged for domestic violence.

Impaired

Registered Member
I am all for people taking a stand, all for free speech.

I just think comparing him to Dr. King or Muhammad Ali is ridiculous.

I think he COULD do more than pose bu the chooses not to.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's his right to sit or stand during the National Anthem.

Personally, if I was ever at a game in the United States and they played God Bless America, I would not stand - and not because I'm Canadian, but mostly because I think it's idiotic and it pisses me off a lot.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Speaking as a Brit, clear to see - embarrassingly so - that there is still racism at large in America.

Some of your police seem to have a 'shot first, apologise later' attitude to black people and going by the news reports I've seen a lot of black areas are disadvantaged and deprived. (Though there are also many white poor in the same boat.)
I think if America can afford to fund these multi-billion dollar military adventures abroad, it can afford to fund regeneration projects for its own people at home ...

Going back to the gentleman in question. Saw it on the BBC News last night.
I felt he came across like a petulant child more than anything.
No matter his grievances, he is still an American. He doesn't have to sing the national anthem if he doesn't want to, but he should at least stand. And he should respect his national flag.

Nothing wrong with seeking social change and a fairer society (something we all should be doing) but there are more appropriate, effective and dignified ways of doing it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's his right to sit or stand during the National Anthem.

Personally, if I was ever at a game in the United States and they played God Bless America, I would not stand - and not because I'm Canadian, but mostly because I think it's idiotic and it pisses me off a lot.
Our national anthem pisses you off, what is that all about, sounds like an extreme reaction. You standing or not is inconsequential since you would be just one of thousands watching the game.