• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

#JusticeForAhmaudArbery Trends, Alleged Killers Arrested and Charged with Murder

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ok? And? The general public is also making silly claims about “muh racism” without any evidence of it. What does that have to do with the facts as we know them?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I cannot confirm this is Aubrey or not. My point is there’s more to this story. If it is, it shows the intent of why they confronted him. I’m not saying they were justified in confronting him, only that this was the intent, rather than it being race.

dDave

V.I.P.
I repeat:
They were not charged because there was a video of them shooting Arbery.

They were not charged because LE saw the video.

They were not charged because the video was leaked.

They were charged over 2 months after the killing when public outrage grew to levels that could no longer be ignored.
Yes. Exactly why I think it's safe to say that there's some seriously corrupt stuff happening in that police department.

I understand the public outrage but it seems to be over a lot of the wrong things. Most people I know seem to be going on and on about the racism as if that's what this case is all about, it may not be about that at all. Really though, the biggest problem here isn't the killing (which is tragic, don't hear me wrong on that), the biggest issue I see is the police department refusing to arrest these guys and have an investigation until the public outcry hit fever pitch. That's evidence of a much deeper issue.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It appears there should have at least been an arrest and a charge of aggravated assault, but whether there was some sweeping under the rug and the culpability of these guys are two separate issues.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Worth mentioning: even if video comes out showing Arbery was up to no good, the chances of those guys having seen said video before going after him are slim to none. It wasn’t their house. They wouldn’t have had access to the private security stream.

So they still went after him based on a hunch at best. I don’t have all the details obviously, but they are going to have a hard time convincing a jury that they knew going in that he was up to no good, and furthermore, that his activity warranted a citizens arrest. Just because a citizen's arrest is legal in your state doesn’t mean you can just attempt one for non-life threatening things. Walking into a construction site doesn’t strike me as “worthy of a citizens arrest.” I’ve done this myself. Many of us have.

As far as racism goes, would they have done this if it had been a white guy? I don’t know. Hypothetical questions aren't going to solve anything here. It's possible their actions were based on racism. The jury will have to hear the case to decide.

Last, why did the local police keep this video buried and keep this case from going anywhere? I agree that is a major issue that needs to be explored. Leave no stone unturned. There definitely appear to be some major problems with A) what happened in general, and B) how it was quietly dismissed until the public outcry grew to be too loud to ignore. Would anything have happened if the video hadn't been released? My guess is no, and that is a huge problem.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Unless they actually saw him going in and out of that construction site. The point is, while they may not legally have a case for a citizens arrest, it shows motive. Attempting a citizens arrest was their intent, and not “hunting down a black guy” or “killed because jogging while black” as many in the MSM have alleged.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@CaptainObvious, that makes sense about at least showing their motive was to carry out a citizen’s arrest, but whether that citizen’s arrest was warranted in the first place is going to be what this comes down to. I would argue based on what I know of the incident, that they didn’t have a clear green light to go ahead with their attempt. Again, I don’t have all the evidence.

I do think the MSM’s narrative of an outright hate crime is an irresponsible means of getting clicks, as the details have not all come out yet.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don’t think it was a legal citizens arrest either, but that doesn’t make them guilty of murder. That seems to be the argument made by so many, in the news and social media. They were wrong about the citizens arrest. They shouldn’t have done it. That doesn’t mean they should be found guilty of murder.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
To those who say Arbery looked guilty because he was fighting? I don’t think so. Lots of people would fight for their life when you against a situation like this.

I maintain that the attempted citizens arrest wasn’t warranted or wise, and they had no proof that Arbery had committed a crime.

This guy makes some great points.

Here's an update the same guy made that doesn't change his stance. Both videos are well worth watching.