• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

#JusticeForAhmaudArbery Trends, Alleged Killers Arrested and Charged with Murder

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on this news story?

EDIT: I removed my initial post because I don’t want to steer opinions due to the OP.

Last edited:

Impaired

Registered Member
Yeah, sad that they were not charged because Law Enforcement watched the video.

They were not charged because we saw the video.

They were charged when it became clear people weren't going to let it go away. TWO MONTHS AFTER THE CRIME.

dDave

V.I.P.
Given that the guy is an ex cop I’d say it’s more likely police looking after “one of their own.” I’m perfectly willing to accept that it’s racially motivated if presented with evidence but there isn’t any real evidence of that at this point (but I recognize the possibility is definitely open), this killing could be motivated for any number of reasons.

Still, super sad no matter what.

I heard there’s a law in Georgia that if you witnessed a crime yourself and follow the person and make a citizens arrest that is allowed and legal. Will be interesting to see if anything like that comes out in court or if this was just murder.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When the video came out I assumed this was like, over the weekend or something. But then I see it happened in late February? I mean, c'mon

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was also surprised it happened so long ago and they just now got around to arresting these two.

Really feel sorry for the family of the victim. Losing a child has got to be the hardest thing ever.

Don't think I really want to watch the video.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Here are my thoughts:

Under Georgia state law, a citizen may make a citizens arrest if the crime is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. It also must be a felony and the “criminal” must be fleeing. So we have to look at did they McMichael’s have a valid case of citizens arrest.

They claim they recognized him from a “rash of burglaries” in the area. That’s not enough, since they weren’t done in their presence or immediate knowledge. They also claim they saw him running from a house that was being constructed. At best, that’s a trespass. A trespass is a misdemeanor. The 9-1-1 call also does not mention anything about a crime. Further, nothing suggest Aubrey was intending to flee. He is seen running towards the truck.

The McMichael’s claim self defense. Georgia is a “stand your ground” stand. All that means is if attacked you don’t have to try and back down before defending oneself. That protects Aubrey also here. The McMiichaels had guns. Aubrey had every right to try and defend himself and wrestle that gun away from him. The McMichaels had no right to try and detain Aubrey and therefore were the aggressors. Therefore, their self defense claim fails.

In my opinion, a charge for aggravated assault is most proper. Murder requires intent. When they stopped it does not appear their intent was to kill Aubrey, but to detain him. Stupid and illegal, but does not show the intent to kill. There’s no evidence they “killed him in cold blood”, or they would have just shot him as he was approaching them.

The race issue and politicization of this though I can’t agree with. There’s no evidence the McMichael’s are racist. I have no idea whether they are or aren’t. There’s no evidence they confronted Aubrey because of his race.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@CaptainObvious, a court is going to have to review all of this, but there appears to be more sides to this story than the media is reporting. Ultimately though, people need to think twice over making a citizens arrest over things like this. I get it may have been technically legal and possibly justified, but maybe not. There are some tricky gray areas that have to be determined now. This is going to be big news regardless.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I’ve been saying from the beginning, let’s wait until all the evidence comes out. My take are my initial thoughts. The more evidence comes out, the more it looks like the McMichael’s did nothing illegal.

dDave

V.I.P.
I’ve been saying from the beginning, let’s wait until all the evidence comes out. My take are my initial thoughts. The more evidence comes out, the more it looks like the McMichael’s did nothing illegal.
It’s hard when we live in a society that judges every case before all the evidence comes out. Literally if it’s possible that it was racially motivated, that’s all it takes for most people to believe it was racially motivated.

These guys are forever branded as racist bigots no matter what.

I’m very much with you, let all the evidence come out and then make a judgment.

Impaired

Registered Member
I repeat:
They were not charged because there was a video of them shooting Arbery.

They were not charged because LE saw the video.

They were not charged because the video was leaked.

They were charged over 2 months after the killing when public outrage grew to levels that could no longer be ignored.