Justice

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

What is 'justice' to you? Who determines what is just, and through that, unjust?

2. martyclark15

martyclark15 Registered Member

There is no such thing as justice. Something such as justice must come from something that is truly just (hence the name). I do not believe in anything being just or unjust... here's why.

To have a good thing, like justice, there must be a supreme good that caused it. The only supreme good is a God(s). Being an agnostic, I don't believe in God and therefore do not believe in a truly good thing. Every 'good'ish thing will always in terms of my theology and worldview have a bad part. Ex. love - love always forms a small part of jealousy or envy which are 'bad'.

So do I think that there is no such thing as a just law? Yes. I do not think there is a truly just law. Slight anarchist? maybe...

However, observing 'natural law', I can at least find some things that are very close to being just or how they were meant and designed to be (whether they were designed by evolution or a creator). Observing this gets us very close to what true justice is, but we will never reach such a stage of pure good and justness.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

The principles of justice are what rational beings would necessarily agree to in the original position. The principles then become the standard for measurement for being "just" or "unjust."

4. Firzen

Firzen Registered Member

you could make the term "absolute justice" and could use it as perfect equality what means:
    "if you cut someone's finger, the same finger will be cutted"
    Sounds simpel and a bit stupid, but would not that be ultimate justice?

5. Corona

Corona Registered Member

You're right. Justice is the paying of all debts, the balancing of the scales, the golden rule, ect. Justice is the idea that a man gets fair compensation for his actions, whether they be good or bad.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

In a society, how does one then determine if the compensation is fair?

7. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I think what's just, or rather what's right and wrong, is determined by ethics. Regarding ethics, I think I am mostly a Kantian with a few pragmatist streaks. Kant's "golden rule", the categorical imperative ("Always act in a manner that the rationale for your actions could reasonably be wanted to become general law", or more down to earth, "treat others as you wish they treat you") is a good guideline. In every day life, I listen to my conscience and my reason to know what's right and wrong, and I think they are a good team.