• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Just when I thought we couldn't get any more dumb in America

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
School asks officer not to wear uniform on campus

Are you kidding me? Now we're afraid police IN UNIFORM with a gun are a threat? Seriously?

"Well I was a little surprised," said parent Blaine Spencer. "I think that it's his right to wear that in public."
It's not his right, IT'S HIS JOB. Maybe it's just me, but I would feel SO much safer WITH him on campus for whatever reason in uniform and his gun. This country is being overrun by idiots.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
So, basically we're teaching people to be afraid of guns in general even when we know it's in safe hands?

A police officer with a gun is not a threat to you unless you're dumb enough to do something illegal and get arrested.

I felt safe in school knowing that there were officers around with guns.

Honestly CO, I agree with you, this country is being overrun by idiots. The logic behind this line of thinking is so far gone that I'm shocked these people know how to construct complete sentences.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I just don't understand this irrational fear of guns, so strong a fear we even have it when an armed police officer, someone trained and given the responsibility of upholding the law is seen as a potential threat. This is just the craziest thing I have heard in awhile.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I had a good laugh at that. Are they serious? Don't you pay him to do that job? So, if something happens, God forbid, that will require a security officer to intervene with, what exactly is he going to do, when he is unarmed and in civilian clothes?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't really see the stupidity.

The body count of children dead by gunfire in schools is far too high and yeah, it sounds like there were some twitchy or overly fearful parents but I think it's foolish to suggest that they're idiots. Hell, there are definitely parts of this country where cops would make me feel threatened rather than safe, especially when so many of them get away with murder (sometimes literally).

I'm sure it will be twisted into some story about gun control though. Because that's what everyone always does with stories like these when guns are not the focus here.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can see where a cop might make you feel threatened rather than safe considering some of the things they have done. Then with all the school shootings too. I still think they are overreacting though. The cop is not likely to go on a rampage and kill your kids. More likely he would stop someone else from doing it if he has his gun. Unless they know more about this cop than we do.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't really see the stupidity.

The body count of children dead by gunfire in schools is far too high and yeah, it sounds like there were some twitchy or overly fearful parents but I think it's foolish to suggest that they're idiots. Hell, there are definitely parts of this country where cops would make me feel threatened rather than safe, especially when so many of them get away with murder (sometimes literally).

I'm sure it will be twisted into some story about gun control though. Because that's what everyone always does with stories like these when guns are not the focus here.
The body count is tragic but it's not like it happens all the time. The amount of violence is actually pretty small. And none of these actions are done by cops dropping off their kid at school. Are we going to not allow cops in malls now? Or once there is a shooting THEN cops with guns can come. Into the mall to stop the violence.

This fear of guns is just so irrational to me.

danwiz

Registered Member
Good God, that's just insane. So, if some kids parent wears a jump suit (coveralls) in his job and drops off his/her kid at this school then some parents may complain about it because "bad guys in movies often wear jump suits and they have guns in the pockets". Or another case - a businessman carrying a briefcase - "briefcases can hold handguns, he should not be allowed on campus with his briefcase".

I mean, how stupid are people becoming nowadays? So, is this poor guy supposed to carry his uniform in the trunk of his car, wear his normal civilian clothes to drop off his kid at school, and then stop at a gas station between the school and his office to change into his uniform, which he is probably required to be wearing when he enters the station house?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The amount of violence is actually pretty small.
In comparison to other civilized countries, definitely not. We have far too much violence in our schools..

And none of these actions are done by cops dropping off their kid at school. Are we going to not allow cops in malls now? Or once there is a shooting THEN cops with guns can come. Into the mall to stop the violence.
I don't see that slippery slope. I see overly scared parents knee-jerking to something that turned out to be rather insignificant.

This fear of guns is just so irrational to me.
Because you grew up with them. Much like it's hard to understand people who hate guns or believe they should be banned for civilian ownership.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Our schools are gun free zones, so shouldn't these shootings not be happening? I just think these incidents are overpublicized by the media, the Internet, etc. Its a concern, but not one where we should be afraid of a cop with a gun.

It's not much of a slippery slope. We have parents afraid of a cop. An actual police officer. At a school. There are thugs at schools selling drugs and the one they are afraid of is a cop.

Yes I grew up with them but it's more than that. A gun is an inanimate object. These things don't happen at gun shows. They don't happen at gun ranges. It's not guns we should be afraid of, it's crazy people we should be afraid of.