Just ran my first 10k today

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mirage, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I just ran my first 10k today. A 10k is approximately 6.2 miles. To date this is the furthest I've ever run at once. I did it as part of my training for a half marathon or a marathon (I haven't decided which one I will do for sure yet). My time was 1 hour and 4 minutes.

So, have you ever ran a 10k? If so, what was your time?

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Not only no but hail no. Running that much for kicks is just nuts to be lol. I've done 3 as my most and that only happens when I'm in a foul mood.

3. Mirage

Well I guess it is just for kicks, even my end goal, but still. It's a challenge. :lol:

I did a 5k last Thursday, which is 3.1 miles. Then on Saturday I did 4 miles, then 5 miles on Monday and 6.2 today (added the .2 to make it a full 10k).

I am going to add 1 mile every other day (taking a day off in between each run) and see how many miles I can get up to. I've also been timing my 1600 meter (slightly under a mile) every two weeks to see how low I can get that.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Me too.

I walked about 6 miles the other day so I've got a feel of the distance you're talking about, but there is no way on earth I would ever want to run it. Walking was fine though, I think I'll stick to that :lol:

5. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Yeah, right. I can barely do the 1 mile in school. I get like 12 minutes on it. Granted, I am not really trying..

But still, that's pretty amazing.

Tucker likes this.
  6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

So you didnt run a 10k event...you just ran 10 kilometers?

Looks like you are doing 10 minutes a mile. That is about what I do.

7. Mirage

Yeah it wasn't an official 10k event. It was just on my own. I've been doing a lot of running lately training for some long distance stuff.

8. Cate

Cate Registered Member

10km! good for you! I can only run 5 km so far, but by the end of the summer i hope to do at least 10. 5km takes me about 22-25 minutes, but my legs refuse to go any farther than that at the moment.

9. Mirage

Well your 5k time is definitely better than mine if you are getting 22-25 minutes. I need to time mine again but I timed it last week and got just under 30 minutes. Then for twice that it takes me just over an hour. I ran 10km again today and only shaved 30 seconds off my time from Wednesday, probably because I didn't let myself recover enough.

10. Ylem

Ylem Registered Member

Im at about 10 mins a mile 60 mins for a 6.2 at the local park.

Training for a marathon curently my ideal pace is 5 hours so i think 11:30 ish a mile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009