Just-in-time work scheduling

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
These days it’s not unusual for someone on the way to work to receive a text message from her employer saying she’s not needed right then.
Robert Reich: The new flexible economy is making workers’ lives hell

If businesses are going to this there should be laws governing it. I don't think someone should be on their way to work before they get a call saying they are not needed that day even though they are scheduled to work. I think you should at least get a two hour notice. If you show up for scheduled work and they send you home they should have to pay you for your trouble. Not fair to workers at all.

Thoughts?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
This would drive me bonkers. Its why I'm glad that I don't work shift work. Companies should start realizing that as desperate as people are for jobs, they can't just fuck around like that. I guess though with so many people lining up to replace them though, they can pull whatever they want. Its sad to see really. Plus, how horrible and inconvenient is it to wake up each day never knowing if you'll have work or not, and thus never knowing what kind of income you'll have for that month. The level of stress must be ridiculous.

Maybe the company is saving money on employees by going this route, but the quality of the work they want is going to decline as more and more people just get frazzled.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It would drive me crazy not knowing if I'm going to work, if I'm going to make enough to pay my bills or if I'm going to have the day off so I can make plans.

Hotels have done this for years with housekeeping. You call in and if your needed you get to work that day. However you call, your not scheduled and your not on the road going to work then find out when your almost there your not needed. But this is something new with retail and restaurants. I would have to look for another job.