Just hiked the Pike's Peak "Incline" stairs/trail

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, for any of you who are familiar with popular hiking areas in the US, you have probably heard of the famous Pike's Peak "Incline" trail. It's a mile and a half of approximately 45 degrees or higher railroad wood in the shape of stairs.

I had never done this before but I just did it on Saturday. I have to say it was awesome. I didn't take a camera with but I think I might be going again soon with some friends. If so I will take a camera next time and take some pictures. It is steep and intense. The best part is the fact that once you get to the top you aren't even close to being done.

You have two options, finish climbing the rest of Pike's Peak (which can't really be done safely right now due to the deep snow still towards the top) or run down a 4 mile trail to the bottom of the mountain. That should give you an idea of how steep the stairs are. It's 1.5 miles straight up the side of the mountain or 4 miles of winding trails. :D

If any of you get the chance to come out to Colorado anytime you should definitely do the incline. They say it's not recommended for beginners but I think as long as you are in decent shape you will be fine if you use common sense along the way. For example, don't lean back too far in certain areas.. and don't fall off the side of the stairs in a few places.

Anyway, it was awesome and I'll hopefully have some pics soon if I go again soon. :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sounds intense. You gotta hike to the top when the snow melts. After that, climb the other 53 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado. I hope to do it someday.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I plan to go to the top sometime in June for sure and then a few more times later on in the summer/fall. Right now there is too much snow on the top for it to be safe. You'd have to wear a ton of warm clothing and you'd be climbing through deep snow. ;)

I'll be taking pictures next time I go on the incline though also and I'll post them here.

All we have here in MI are hills, no fun mountains to hike, but I know one of these days....I'll have the opportunity to reach a mountaintop and can-not wait!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Supposedly the Incline is on private property and you can be arrested for trespassing. Anyway, I found some pictures and it looks like a hell of a workout.

The bottom is at 6,574'. Top is 8,585'. Pikes Peak is over 14100'. So you'd still have over a vertical mile of climbing to get to the summit from the top of the incline. That's a beast of a climb.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
No, the incline is not on private property. There are literally people on it all day long. It's on Pikes Peak which is entirely owned by the state of Colorado.

And yeah it is an insane climb. Apparently the front side (the side I was on) is one of the harder climbs out of all of the 56 14'ers here in Colorado. It's not so much the "climbing" but the long winding trails. It's a total of about 26 miles up and down all the way.