Just Hiked Several 14er Mountains

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I went hiking today and was pretty much gone all day. I hiked three 14,000+ foot high mountains today including one that is considered the 14th hardest in Colorado.

Unfortunately I was aiming for hiking a total of 5 and I didn't make it. :shake:

It was insane though. I think I'll be feeling the burn for a few days for sure.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I did the following (in order):

Mt. Cameron
Mt. Bross
Mt. Sherman

I was with a group of people though and everybody else did:

Mt. Democrat
Mt. Cameron
Mt. Lincoln
Mt. Bross
Mt. Sherman

(That's every 14er in the Mosquito Range.)

It was freezing cold though and I didn't dress accordingly so I was unable to do two of them. I didn't expect it to be quite as cold as it was.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Cameron is over 14,000 feet but it not considered an official 14er because the saddle doesn't descend 300+ feet from Lincoln. Still cool though.

Which one is supposed to be the hard one? All three of those are Class 1 climbs and apparently pretty easy.

martyclark

Registered Member
thats amazing dude! congrats on the hard hike. i really want to go to colorado someday and see the sights. it looks beatiful. glad you had fun!

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Cameron is over 14,000 feet but it not considered an official 14er because the saddle doesn't descend 300+ feet from Lincoln. Still cool though.

Which one is supposed to be the hard one? All three of those are Class 1 climbs and apparently pretty easy.
Class one AND easy?

No Mount Sherman was the most ridiculous mountain I've ever had the misfortune to climb up, it hurt so bad, 7 false peaks combined with ridiculous slipping and tons of sharp rocks and steep uphill is not a good combo.

It had a 20 degree grade for the entire thing at least, and we did it after hiking the other 4.

Mt Lincoln was the worst I think though, the trail is uncovered the whole way right over a huge bowl so there was unbelievable wind going at us the entire time, it was freezing cold as well and my fingers swelled up, the entire time I felt like I was going to be blown over.

Oh yeah I went with and did all 5 :nod:

btw there are 54 official 14ers and Cameron is listed as one of these.

If you don't think it's bad go try it, it was above treeline the entire time by a long shot, there was such a small amount of air your head was hurting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Class one AND easy?
Class 1 means it's a walkable trail all the way up, no use of hands required or anything.

No Mount Sherman was the most ridiculous mountain I've ever had the misfortune to climb up, it hurt so bad, 7 false peaks combined with ridiculous slipping and tons of sharp rocks and steep uphill is not a good combo.
Quoted from SummitPost, which is like the Bible of mountain climbing...

"While the gentle nature of Sherman makes it hard to identify, it also makes it a relatively easy peak to climb. Over the years it has developed a reputation for being one of the easiest 14ers to climb. As such, it is a very popular first 14er for those who wish to take their hiking to new heights. On just about any given weekend during the summer one can expect to be in the company of those treading higher than they ever have before."

SummitPost - Mount Sherman -- Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering

btw there are 54 official 14ers and Cameron is listed as one of these.
Front Range
1. Longs
2. Torreys
3. Grays
4. Evans
5. Bierstadt
6. Pikes
Mosquito Range
7. Quandary
8. Lincoln
9. Democrat
10. Bross
11. Sherman
Sawatch Range
12. Holy Cross
13. Massive
14. Elbert
15. La Plata
16. Huron
17. Missouri
18. Belford
19. Oxford
20. Harvard
21. Columbia
22. Yale
23. Princeton
24. Antero
25. Shavano
26. Tabeguache
Sangre de Cristo Range
27. Kit Carson
28. Crestone
29. Crestone Needle
30. Humboldt
31. Ellingwood Point
32. Little Bear
33. Blanca
34. Lindsey
35. Culebra
Elk Mountains
36. Capitol
37. Snowmass
38. North Maroon
39. South Maroon
40. Pyramid
41. Castle
San Juan Mountains
42. Wetterhorn
43. Uncompahgre
44. Sneffels
45. San Luis
46. El Diente
47. Wilson Peak
48. Mount Wilson (yes, 47 and 48 are two different peaks)
49. Handies
50. Redcloud
51. Sunshine
52. Eolus
53. Sunlight
54. Windom
Go ahead and prove me wrong.

If you don't think it's bad go try it, it was above treeline the entire time by a long shot, there was such a small amount of air your head was hurting.
I've done a lot of hiking, I know how hard it is.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Class 1 means it's a walkable trail all the way up, no use of hands required or anything.
Obviously the only class 1's you've ever done were pretty easy. This one was very difficult. Sherman is much harder than that website makes it sound. It is very steep in parts and I'd say 75% of it is walking over loose rocks. It's by no means a beginners mountain.

But I guess actually hiking it doesn't give me the right to have an opinion on it.

I've done a lot of hiking, I know how hard it is.
You haven't hiked Sherman though so why try to argue that it's not that bad? Trust me, it was no walk in the park. It was the worst mountain I've ever gone up.

It's ranked 45 out of 53 according to 14ers.com, 53 being the hardest mountain to hike/climb in Colorado. (Although I could have sworn there were 54 of them)

14ers.com - Quick Stats

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sherman is much harder than that website makes it sound. It is very steep in parts and I'd say 75% of it is walking over loose rocks. It's by no means a beginners mountain.
Nobody said it was easy, only that it's a relatively easy 14er to climb compared to the others.

But I guess actually hiking it doesn't give me the right to have an opinion on it.
I believe you, it was hard. Trust me, I've climbed plenty of mountains. I've never done anything that I would consider a really difficult climb (relative to what else is out there), but that doesn't mean they were a piece of cake.

It's ranked 45 out of 53 according to 14ers.com, 53 being the hardest mountain to hike/climb in Colorado. (Although I could have sworn there were 54 of them)
That rank is based purely on height. Mount Elbert is ranked 1 despite being a pretty easy one to climb.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess that rank was based on height but I've seen somewhere else that it's the 14th hardest. I will see if I can find it.

Also, if you notice on that link, Sherman is ranked as a Class 2. This makes sense because according to their description of Class 2 it's:

More difficult hiking that may be off-trail. You may also have to put your hands down occasionally to keep your balance. May include easy snow climbs or hiking on talus/scree.
There pretty much was no trail for the top half of Sherman. It was loose rocks at a very steep angle for what felt like at least a mile. There were some spots that you could tell people had walked on before but that didn't help much.

Here's a picture of what the top half looked like trail wise. This is a picture of the summit:

http://vault.carolwhite.org/pictures/Climbs_of_Colorado_14000_footers/Parking%20area%20below%20Mt%20Sherman,%20Leadville.jpg

And a view from the side of the ridge we had to go up. All rocks:

Last edited: