Just Hiked Several 14er Mountains

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Mirage, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I went hiking today and was pretty much gone all day. I hiked three 14,000+ foot high mountains today including one that is considered the 14th hardest in Colorado.

Unfortunately I was aiming for hiking a total of 5 and I didn't make it. :shake:

It was insane though. I think I'll be feeling the burn for a few days for sure.

Major likes this.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Which ones did you do? Any pics?

3. Mirage

I did the following (in order):

Mt. Cameron
    Mt. Bross
    Mt. Sherman

I was with a group of people though and everybody else did:

Mt. Democrat
    Mt. Cameron
    Mt. Lincoln
    Mt. Bross
    Mt. Sherman

(That's every 14er in the Mosquito Range.)

It was freezing cold though and I didn't dress accordingly so I was unable to do two of them. I didn't expect it to be quite as cold as it was.

4. Major

Cameron is over 14,000 feet but it not considered an official 14er because the saddle doesn't descend 300+ feet from Lincoln. Still cool though.

Which one is supposed to be the hard one? All three of those are Class 1 climbs and apparently pretty easy.

5. martyclark

martyclark Registered Member

thats amazing dude! congrats on the hard hike. i really want to go to colorado someday and see the sights. it looks beatiful. glad you had fun!

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Class one AND easy?

No Mount Sherman was the most ridiculous mountain I've ever had the misfortune to climb up, it hurt so bad, 7 false peaks combined with ridiculous slipping and tons of sharp rocks and steep uphill is not a good combo.

It had a 20 degree grade for the entire thing at least, and we did it after hiking the other 4.

Mt Lincoln was the worst I think though, the trail is uncovered the whole way right over a huge bowl so there was unbelievable wind going at us the entire time, it was freezing cold as well and my fingers swelled up, the entire time I felt like I was going to be blown over.

Oh yeah I went with and did all 5 :nod:

btw there are 54 official 14ers and Cameron is listed as one of these.

If you don't think it's bad go try it, it was above treeline the entire time by a long shot, there was such a small amount of air your head was hurting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  7. Major

Class 1 means it's a walkable trail all the way up, no use of hands required or anything.

Quoted from SummitPost, which is like the Bible of mountain climbing...

"While the gentle nature of Sherman makes it hard to identify, it also makes it a relatively easy peak to climb. Over the years it has developed a reputation for being one of the easiest 14ers to climb. As such, it is a very popular first 14er for those who wish to take their hiking to new heights. On just about any given weekend during the summer one can expect to be in the company of those treading higher than they ever have before."

SummitPost - Mount Sherman -- Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering

Front Range
    1. Longs
    2. Torreys
    3. Grays
    4. Evans
    5. Bierstadt
    6. Pikes
    Mosquito Range
    7. Quandary
    8. Lincoln
    9. Democrat
    10. Bross
    11. Sherman
    Sawatch Range
    12. Holy Cross
    13. Massive
    14. Elbert
    15. La Plata
    16. Huron
    17. Missouri
    18. Belford
    19. Oxford
    20. Harvard
    21. Columbia
    22. Yale
    23. Princeton
    24. Antero
    25. Shavano
    26. Tabeguache
    Sangre de Cristo Range
    27. Kit Carson
    28. Crestone
    29. Crestone Needle
    30. Humboldt
    31. Ellingwood Point
    32. Little Bear
    33. Blanca
    34. Lindsey
    35. Culebra
    Elk Mountains
    36. Capitol
    37. Snowmass
    38. North Maroon
    39. South Maroon
    40. Pyramid
    41. Castle
    San Juan Mountains
    42. Wetterhorn
    43. Uncompahgre
    44. Sneffels
    45. San Luis
    46. El Diente
    47. Wilson Peak
    48. Mount Wilson (yes, 47 and 48 are two different peaks)
    49. Handies
    50. Redcloud
    51. Sunshine
    52. Eolus
    53. Sunlight
    54. Windom
    Go ahead and prove me wrong.

I've done a lot of hiking, I know how hard it is.

8. Mirage

Obviously the only class 1's you've ever done were pretty easy. This one was very difficult. Sherman is much harder than that website makes it sound. It is very steep in parts and I'd say 75% of it is walking over loose rocks. It's by no means a beginners mountain.

But I guess actually hiking it doesn't give me the right to have an opinion on it.

You haven't hiked Sherman though so why try to argue that it's not that bad? Trust me, it was no walk in the park. It was the worst mountain I've ever gone up.

It's ranked 45 out of 53 according to 14ers.com, 53 being the hardest mountain to hike/climb in Colorado. (Although I could have sworn there were 54 of them)

14ers.com - Quick Stats

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Major

Nobody said it was easy, only that it's a relatively easy 14er to climb compared to the others.

I believe you, it was hard. Trust me, I've climbed plenty of mountains. I've never done anything that I would consider a really difficult climb (relative to what else is out there), but that doesn't mean they were a piece of cake.

That rank is based purely on height. Mount Elbert is ranked 1 despite being a pretty easy one to climb.

10. Mirage

I guess that rank was based on height but I've seen somewhere else that it's the 14th hardest. I will see if I can find it.

Also, if you notice on that link, Sherman is ranked as a Class 2. This makes sense because according to their description of Class 2 it's:

There pretty much was no trail for the top half of Sherman. It was loose rocks at a very steep angle for what felt like at least a mile. There were some spots that you could tell people had walked on before but that didn't help much.

Here's a picture of what the top half looked like trail wise. This is a picture of the summit:

[​IMG]

http://vault.carolwhite.org/pictures/Climbs_of_Colorado_14000_footers/Parking%20area%20below%20Mt%20Sherman,%20Leadville.jpg

And a view from the side of the ridge we had to go up. All rocks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009