• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Just got a new computer, sort of..

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I had a motherboard and hard drive flake out on me earlier this week. One or the other has always been questionable since I got this computer but I never had enough problems to justify shelling out the extra cash for replacements.

Well on Tuesday this week I had had just about enough when once again the stupid thing refused to boot up. I went out and bought a new hard drive and motherboard. The only problems were:

1. The only motherboard that supported dual video cards (which I needed) was much newer than what I had had previously.

2. This motherboard did not support my current CPU socket type.

3. This motherboard did not support my 2 gigs of PCI3200 RAM I already had.

So to get to the point, I had to buy 2 new gigs of DDR25400 RAM, a new processor (thankfully about twice as fast as my previous one), and of course I had to pay for the motherboard too. I also switched back to Intel from AMD. I could have bought an AMD board but I liked the Intel board that I found a lot better than the AMD selection.

It's sad how quickly you can spend money that you never planned to spend. I woke up ready to go only to be stopped in my tracks and having to fork over unbudgeted money for new computer equipment.

The funny thing is that when I find a motherboard that supports my old hardware all I need is a motherboard, a case, and a power supply and I'll have a pretty nice spare computer. :sigh:

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
I remember the days you could stick an adapter in your memory socket and use a preexisting or brand smacking new memory chip that just came on the market.

All that has changed. :sigh: