Just felt an Earthquake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

About 45 minutes ago my building started shaking for about 15 seconds. It's the first time I've ever felt an Earthquake in my life. It came from a city that is about an hour an some minutes away from my area. It was 5.5-5.7.

It's quite shocking when you feel it for the first time. They evecuated for about 40 minutes or so to check if everything was secure. No damage or anything was done(in my area)

2. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

It was pretty intense even though it wasn't a major disaster lol. I was afraid that it was going to do something to my new house but nothing happened. The only thing that I'm pretty pissed about is that I lost my cell phone service...for some reason it cant find the network.

3. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

Glad to hear you guys are ok, I've never actually felt one like that (and realized it was happening, at least).

4. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

My friend Lynds felt it too, she's in Georgetown.

I remember my first quake, it was in the middle of the night so i just went back to sleep :lol:

5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

That's a fairly sizeable quake too...nothing to slight.

I think the one we had in St Louis a year or two ago was in the lower 5's...it woke me up when it went off. Scary stuff.

6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Welcome to my ever-shifting world, BR! At that distance from the epicenter, the motion in your area was kind of a sideways swaying, no?

7. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I didn't feel a thing. Where was the epicenter babe? I must be too far away thankfully. I didn't know that canada could feel quakes.

8. theotherone

theotherone Registered Member

I've felt at least 10-11 earthquakes in my life... only 2 or 3 of them were of scary proportions... although none of them actually did much beyond disabling some power lines. I know I've slept through several and totally missed others :lol:

I'm glad to hear that you guys are OK though!

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Earthquakes just sound scary to me. In my area we are prone to tornadoes, but I think earthquakes would give me that surge of panic.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It was in Buckingham Smel, I am surprised you didn't feel it. They said that people from Michigan felt it as well. I heard that people from Chicago might of felt it as well.

So hopefully I can get Echoes and Jeanie to respond to this thread, and let me know if they felt anything.

@Tucker, personally I didn't even know what it felt like, it was so quick and all I felt was some shaking.

Toronto, Canada felt it as well, the reason why I mentioning this is because the G8 and G20 Summits are this week. Just imagine how the police officers reacted to this Earthquake. They probably thought it was a bomb. I'm sure the some of the World Leaders were shitting their pants.