Just Cause 2 - 1,000 Square km to explore

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PretzelCorps, Mar 23, 2010.

1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I just bought this game today, and I'm really looking forward to playing it. I also have the first Just Cause coming for next week via Ebay, since I somehow missed it and never picked it up. One of the things I love to do in games is explore, especially when given a beautiful and varied map to explore. And so, since I apparently can't do anything without being a complete nerd about it, I present to you a picture I've made to show just how much room you have to run around in these games:

(NOTE - I used a map from the first game, not the second, because there are no online versions of it yet. Both maps are the same size)

[​IMG]

Other games, from top left: GTA III, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Farcry 2.

Map Area:

GTA III: 8 sq.km
    GTA VC: 10 sq.km
    GTA SA: 36 sq.km
    GTA IV: 8 sq.km
    Oblivion: 41 sq.km
    Fallout 3: 41 sq.km
    Farcry 2: 50 sq.km
    Just Cause 1 or 2: 1,000 sq.km

2. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

Definitely looks great. I'm going to wait until I read some reviews to consider it.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Nice...but now I want to see how much larger Just Cause is compared to Boiling Point: Road to Hell.

...in other words, how large a difference of 375 km2 really is.
    ------
    So, like the nerd I am, I've just manually (by a calculator) determined that the exact size of the map 31.6227766 x 31.6227766 km.

Nerds √16 Ever

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I'm assuming none of you have tried the demo yet. It is a great game. The freedom it gives you is crazy. I'll defiantly buy it.

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I may try the demo if there's a PC version. I've been seriously neglecting my PC gaming side.

6. PretzelCorps

There is, indeed, a PC version.

I'm installing the full game to my 360 harddrive as we type! The demo was pretty fantastic, but I don't know if it's the kind of game that appeals to absolutely everyone.

7. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

It really isn't. It's that game where I'll play the demo, and I'll be like.. holy shit I have to go bye it right now.. and when I get up to go, I think.. am I really going to like it enough to play it a lot, or is it going to be another dust collector?

8. PretzelCorps

Kay, so I'm a few hours into Just Cause 2. The cut scenes can be pretty disappointing, and there's a few audio errors here and there. I was also disappointed when all three of the introductory faction missions were almost exactly the same. Mission cut-scenes are all identical. At least the regular missions are pretty awesome. It'd also be nice if there were more interiors.

No actual plot spoilers:
    And none of that gets in the way of this being an absolutely f*king AMAZING game! :w00t: Seriously, surfing on the cockpit of a jet plane at 30,000 feet, jumping into a swan dive 290 kilometers per hour straight into the military base directly below, pulling the parachute at the last minute, grappling to a tank, and destroying everything in sight.

Or driving down a runway while being pursued by motorcycles with an oncoming Herc taking off, jumping onto the roof of your jeep as it precariously drives itself, grappling one of the pursuers to the Herc as you go underneath the wing between the turbine and the chassis, and watching him get dragged off into the sunset.

Or calling in a jeep to be airdropped at the top of a snow-capped mountain, and smashing your way down.

Or jumping from the roofs of car to car while being pursued on the highway, grappling guys that are shooting at you to be dragged by their own jeeps, shooting out the tires of pursuing trucks so they go into a ridiculous barrel-roll-to-massive-explosion, finally standing on the roof of the last jeep, and grappling it to the ground in front/to the side so you can parachute off at the last second before the rope goes taut and the jeep goes spinning away. Off a cliff.

This game is as good as your imagination; it's like James-Bond-on-speed epic sometimes. 1,000 square kilometers of absolutely beautiful island --> I don't know how many times I've found myself just flying around looking at stuff, and going 'oh, maybe I should do something relevant.' The water is just beautiful to look at. It's like the development team built this game for years, working on getting the gameplay just perfect, and finally relaxing the night before, when someone goes "Hey, uh... Did we remember to put in a storyline?"

The main missions have been pretty fantastic so far, too. Really, who cares about the story or the glitches, anyways; this game is just refreshing, pure adrenaline-producing fun.

I probably could have just left it at "surfing on the cockpit of a jet plane."
    ------

Here, check these out --> You can actually pull this stuff off:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

That makes me want to purchase this game. It looks like tons of fun.

10. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

I've just ordered the collectors edition from Play.com. Haven't played the first one at all but I loved the Demo on this so much I needed to have it.

Smelnick likes this.