Just and Un-just laws

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Aug 2, 2007.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Who here agrees with me that there are two kinds of laws? I think the problem we have in today's society is there are too many un-just laws. The difference between the two is simple. Just laws are laws we need to maintain a civilized, healthy and safe society, I.e. Murder, rape, drunk driving and abuse/assault to name a few. Un-just laws are laws the government passes to control people. I.e. controlled substances in your home, sex laws, property laws, telling someone they can only have one dog, or that they have to lock their guns up in their homes, or that its ok to burn a flag but not ok to piss on a qur'an.

Can anyone else think of any un-just laws that have been passed and are enforced in the areas where you live? What are your views between just and unjust laws?

2. Badfish

Badfish Guest

I agree with you for the most part, although I think gun safety is important.

I guess that I'm libertarian in a sense that I believe people should have the right to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't violate or prevent someone else from having the same right.

One that comes to mind locally for me (although I know other states have done it as well), is the fact that they no longer allow vending machines in school. It's silly, because having them let the students have the freedom to choose whether or not they wanted them. Calories aren't illegal. Besides, they helped the school with money and getting upgrades for our school. It's not a huge deal, but it's just something that I feel is unjust. It'd be different if a school simply chose not to have vending machines, but that's not the case, they're being forced to not have them.

3. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

What's happened is that all the necessary laws have been passed. There is nothing for a legislature to do so they dream up unnecessary laws to justify their existence. Most of the time, they love the power so much, they want to control the lives of all the peons. It turns the state into a a grand nanny. Smokingslaws, transfat laws, laws that tell vets they cannot dock tails, declaw cats or crop ears. Then there are the REALLY silly laws, laws with no hope of even being enforced. It is against the law in California to flush cat feces down the toilet. How is this supposed to be enforced? It is the law in California that if you work at home, you must comply with all laws governing workplace safety. Inspectors kicked in the door of ONE house in Santa Monica to make sure the chairs were ergonomic and the bathroom had a handicapped sign. The resulting outcry ended that practice but the laws are still there.

What happens when you get so many laws governing so much trivia, with so little hope of being enforced that enforcement become arbitrary and capricious that people stop obeying laws.

Of necessity, I break several laws before breakfast. There are so many, and they govern such minutia that it is almost impossible to exist without breaking any laws.

4. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

A lot of these "un-just" laws you’re talking about are there for the same reasons just laws are there. One example, don't you think controlling allowed substances would keep social order, health, and safety?

5. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Actually controlling substances creates a lot of crime.

6. Nosferatu_Alucard

So if we were to take away all of our substance controlling laws away right now, all thinks would be all hunky dorry?

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Reffering to drugs, it might. Imagine if drugs we're a commercial product; albeit heavily taxed. The government would make serious money, and the American people would be able to do what we wanted with our bodies (keeping age resriction laws however). It would probably seriously boost our economy.

8. Alun

Alun Guest

Translation: It's illegal to own six dildos.
    (from DumbLaws.com)

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing we'd be a "healthy" society without prescriptions and controlled substance qualifications. I have trouble believing people would be "safe" if guns didn't need to be locked in child-proof safes. And I have trouble believing we'd be "civilized" if we were allowed to have sex in public.

9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I'm refering to in your home or property. Basically it should not be against the law to smoke bud in your house, its when you take it into public that its against the law.

10. Nosferatu_Alucard

You say it's ok to do things in your house that are illegal, but not them in public. Is this only talking about substances or other laws too?