• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Jury gives Boston Bomber death penalty.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
A U.S. jury on Friday sentenced Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death for helping to carry out the 2013 attack that killed three people and injured 264 at the world-renowned race, taking 15 hours to reach a decision.
Jury sentences Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death

I know a lot of people are against the death penalty but after what he did I think he deserves it. I would hate to be the father that had to chose which child to save or be without limbs because of him.

Thoughts?

Stego

Registered Member
Personally, I'm not necessarily against the penalty but rather the system and how corrupt / wasteful it is. I think we need to separate the system that deals with the person from the act of removing somebody from our society. A lot of innocent people get executed, and scores more get life in prison. The appeal process is lengthy and costly, not to mention traumatizing for the family. Those who need rehabilitation need rehabilitation, as our mental health industry is also quite broken. I think that's where money should go, not to giving offenders room and board or to locking away the innocent.

That being said...

If we have you on video setting a bomb that kills children, if you are unrepentant in the face of crying family members of the victims, and if you after the act still think that it was an appropriate statement or action to carry out in the name of what you believe...we should line you up out back after court and nail the cheapest round of ammunition we can through your skull. Don't waste another cent or hour. There are over 7 billion people on this planet, and we don't have the time or resources to fuss around with the likes of Tsarnaev.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Anybody that reads my posts already knows how much I hate on Chechen and Degestani terrorists. Imo they are their own enemies when they do the same things that their enemies do.

So yeah I totally do support the death penalty for Джохар Царнаев. I also refuse to use his Americanized name.
Killing and damaging more people because 133,000 innocent civilians were killed and tens of thousands more were injured by the Iraq War (including thousands of kids that lost limbs and watched their families die) is wrong.

From the article in the OP.
Prosecutors described Tsarnaev as an adherent of al Qaeda’s militant Islamist views who carried out the attack as an act of retribution for U.S. military campaigns in Muslim-dominated countries.
Its also stupid - The Boston bombing wont stop any future U.S. military campaigns in the Middle East. It could even be an excuse to start more campaigns.
If Царнаев had stayed in Russia then he would probaly already be dead. Russia doesnt coddle terrorists.

So yeah I totally do agree with the death penalty verdict. Also I think he should lose his right to appeal the decision.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
As a Massachusetts native and someone with family who were at the finish line when the bombs went off, I can say I'm split.

I want him to die. I don't think someone like this can be 'rehabilitated'. I also don't want any tax dollars to fund his living expenses for the next 60 years. He ended several lives out of religious malice, he's forfeited his life to them.

However, I'm also not keen on him getting the whole "martyr" status. People like this are not afraid to die. Being left to rot in silence for the rest of their life is what they should get. There is of course, the appeals process, which will cost money but in this case will not overturn anything.

Overall, I want to see him punished but I'm not sure what is the better option.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I think I would like to see him staked out on a ant hill with honey poured on him. Of course that would be torture so we can't do that to him but I think death is what he deserves and he shouldn't be buried facing Mecca. He deserves no special considerations in life or in death.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
As a Massachusetts native and someone with family who were at the finish line when the bombs went off, I can say I'm split.

I want him to die. I don't think someone like this can be 'rehabilitated'. I also don't want any tax dollars to fund his living expenses for the next 60 years. He ended several lives out of religious malice, he's forfeited his life to them.

However, I'm also not keen on him getting the whole "martyr" status. People like this are not afraid to die. Being left to rot in silence for the rest of their life is what they should get. There is of course, the appeals process, which will cost money but in this case will not overturn anything.

Overall, I want to see him punished but I'm not sure what is the better option.
I made the same point the other night discussing this with my family. I hate the thought of him becoming a martyr for all this.

I'm torn on this. My feelings on the death penalty have changed, I'm no longer a strong advocate for it and I do believe all life is precious. At the same time if there is or was someone who deserved it it's him. Ultimately I would rather he not be put to death and actually spend his time in solitary confinement with no access to anyone or anything from the outside world.