• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Junior At Catholic High School, Banned From Prom For Having No Date

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Amanda Dougherty, Junior At Catholic High School, Banned From Prom For Having No Date

A 17-year-old had a date to her junior prom, bought the tickets, a dress and all the other accessories, which she says cost close to $1,000. But her date backed out, and now she's not allowed to go because the school has a rule against students going to the prom stag.

This is just non-sense. A lot of people at my school(Catholic) when to the prom single. They should just let her go.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
What's wrong with going to the prom stag? The stupidity of schools really surprises me sometimes.

Iris

rainbow 11!
What? That's really stupid. Is it a sin to go to a dance alone? :eyeroll:

Falconer

Registered Member
The thing that strikes me as doubly ridiculous here is the whole Catholic no-sex-before-marriage thing. Obviously, dating someone doesn't mean necessarily doin' it, but it's often a strong hint among your average modern teenager. Hence and therefore, why isn't being dateless a positive thing...?

Bah. Stupidity. Also, that poor girl.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The thing that strikes me as doubly ridiculous here is the whole Catholic no-sex-before-marriage thing. Obviously, dating someone doesn't mean necessarily doin' it, but it's often a strong hint among your average modern teenager. Hence and therefore, why isn't being dateless a positive thing...?

Bah. Stupidity. Also, that poor girl.
Because it being a Catholic high school is incidental. Numerous public high schools have had rules about mixed racial couples going to prom, same-sex couples going to prom, going stag, etc...it's not like it's a Catholic high school therefore it's immune from rules that seem weird. And it's not like this is across the board for ALL Catholic high schools, BR gave an example of his Catholic school and it was permissible to go stag.

We should be focusing on why the rule is in place and what it seeks to serve, rather than the school being a Catholic school. That fact is irrelevant.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What kind of stupid rule is that? I feel sorry for her spending all that money and getting all excited about it then not be allowed to attend.