Julien fired as Devils coach; Lamoriello takes over

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -Having the New Jersey Devils in first place in the Atlantic Division with a week to go in the regular season got coach Claude Julien fired on Monday.
    Sound strange?
    When you work for general manager Lou Lamoriello, it's all about winning Stanley Cups.
    Feeling that Julien didn't have the team ready to make a Cup run with the playoffs scheduled to start next week, Lamoriello fired him on Monday and took over behind the bench for the second straight year.
    "I don't think we're at a point of being ready both mentally and (physically) to play the way that is necessary going into the playoffs," Lamoriello said outside an empty Devils locker room at the Continental Airlines Arena. "I am not saying that is going to change. But I think there has to be better focus going forward."
    The stunning move came less than a day after the Devils beat Boston for their fourth win in five games. New Jersey's 102 points is tied for the second most in the Eastern Conference.
    Julien, who was informed of his dismissal on Monday morning by Lamoriello, was not immediately available for comment. He posted a 47-24-8 mark in his first season in New Jersey.
    Lamoriello refused to say how long that he has been considering the move, noting that Julien did nothing off the ice to get fired.
    "He certainly understands," Lamoriello said.
    Lamoriello, who replaced Larry Robinson as coach on Dec. 19, 2005, would not say whether Julien will remain with the organization.
    A practice scheduled for Monday was called off after Lamoriello discussed the move with the team.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=298556&page=NewsPage&service=page

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Hmm , What the hell. That's what came to my mind when I first read that. The Devils are basically one of the best teams around on offence and defence and it does not matter what the coach is doing , Well in some sense it does but really it depends on the players and I know that there is little chance that Julien had his boys misfocused on the goal at hand which is the cup. He has done an excellent job this season and to take him out of his contract right before the cup run was just disrespect IMO. I think there is something that we are not being told. I can't see any team fire their coach right now and especially not a team like the Deivils.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree this move was out of no where, and I was really surprise when I read the headline, especially that it came so close to playoff time, and the Devils were second in the conference. But Lou did the same thing with Ftorek back in 2000, and the Devils were in first place and they won the cup that year, so it's not the first time he pulls this none sence. But I agree there's something in that we dont know about.

4. andrew_bishop

Trouble in Devil land one would think. Lou is a good man though and he can keep the Devils focused but this might cause some displeasure in the locker room. I mean to see somebody so close to the team go this late in the year is a huge shock and really its hard to talk about and be a part of due to the fact that he was there all year with the group and saw them through the ups and downs and its a pitty he's gone now.

Interesting point there MJ about something similar happening a few years ago and then they win the cup. Maybe they are trying to stir up the same magic they had that year and kindle the flame for the drive. Maybe there is tension behind the scenes or God knows what else could happen. I think that now the Devils will be the center of some media and that can drive a team down in this kind of time. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it pays off.

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I think any benefit that the coaching change might create this season is negated by the suddeness and awkwardness of the change.

6. andrew_bishop

The Devils need to put it behind them and play their hearts out on the ice. No use crying over the change because it won't do them any good and they are still in a tough spot fighting for the division title. If they don't keep a certain level of play up they will not have their division title for them and if that goes through im sure that this move will be looked at as a possible season turning point for the Devils.