• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Josh Johnson to undergo Tommy John surgery

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I see on twitter that the Jays dodged a bullet by not picking up his option, which might be true. But, do we really know for sure that he would have gotten Tommy John surgery if he remained a Blue Jay?

Sucks for him though. This will probably hurt his next contract. Should go sign with the Cardinals. They work wonders with these type of pitchers.

GTAchick78

I'm certain he would have needed TJS had he been a Blue Jay this year. He was injured towards the end of last season and I doubt that his need for surgery is the result of spring training and the first few weeks of the season alone. I, for one, said no way to qualifying him and I'm awfully glad we didn't.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
willge87 said:
Jays luck dictated that he'd have a bounce-back season. I am glad that this wasn't the case.
I feel the same way, but I wish it was because he didn't perform well instead of needing surgery.

GTAchick78

BJBirdy said:
willge87 said:
Jays luck dictated that he'd have a bounce-back season. I am glad that this wasn't the case.
I feel the same way, but I wish it was because he didn't perform well instead of needing surgery.
Agreed. Seeing a former player get injured should not be considered a victory, as some unclassy Jays "fans" have suggested. If he had performed poorly it would have suggested something about him, as opposed to any potential fault of the Blue Jays.

I think that the bigger discussion, though, is the fact that so many pitchers are having to undergo TJS. What are the underlying reasons for this "epidemic"?

arock1234

Registered Member
Having two tommy john surgeries in a career isn't exactly ideal. There has always been sort of a feeling amongst baseball people (more just common sense) that throwing more breaking pitches causes more stress on the arm and elbow. I don't have any stats to back it up but it seemed like his fastball command last year was so bad he was forced to throw so much breaking stuff. I think it is highly doubtful he ever comes back from this and becomes a valuable starter. Maybe a bullpen move in the future?

I would rather him been really bad but healthy. Even though he has made plenty of money I still feel sorry for pitchers like this who just can't keep their bodies together to pitch to their incredible potential. (Prior, Wood ,McGowan, Morrow the list goes on and on)