Jorge Lopez's Murder & Gay Panic

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Bubbles, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

I was goofing off and wasting time on the internet a few hours ago, when I came upon this article. It dates back to November 16th 2009. Now, the reason why I’m posting this is because, not only was I shocked and appalled by the crime, I was disgusted with the police response. Have a look...

Gay Puerto Rican Teen Decapitated, Dismembered, and Burned - Towleroad | #gay #news

Really? So people deserve to be tortured and killed because they decide to live a certian lifestyle? I’m not sure what bothers me more – the fact that a 19 year old suffered such a horrible fate or how the police is handling this. This is a classic example of blaming the victim for his death. Despite what the police officer said, they were on the case, because they found the killer almost immediately after.

The suspect is now claiming a “gay panic” defense. This crime is quite similar to the Gwen Araujo case, just not as brutal. Why is the “gay panic” defense even allowed? We don’t claim “white panic” or “black panic.” It sounds absurd that courts actually take shit like this into consideration. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]