Jones to become free agent

Sources: New York Jets plan to release running back Thomas Jones - ESPN

New York Jets running back Thomas Jones will not restructure his contract and will be released this week, sources told ESPN on Saturday.

Jones, who will become a free agent March 5, was slated to receive a $3 million roster bonus March 9 and a $2.8 million base salary in 2010.

Jones, who has played the last three seasons for the Jets, rushed for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns on 331 carries last season. The Jets reached the AFC Championship Game.

Jones has 9,217 career rushing yards in 10 seasons with the Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears.
Another starting RB looks to be axed. I wonder who else will go?

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Kind of surprised at first glance but then again, the Jets do have Shonn Grenne and Leon Washington, who could probably be a decent tandem for them. Still, it's odd that the team who led the league in rushing would let go of their #1 back.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Leon Washington is a free agent too...the Jets told Thomas Jones they are releasing him on Friday anyways.

They might be down to one back

Maybe they will go after LT afterall. Greene, Washington and LT would be a dangerous three-headed monster, that's for sure.
The problem with this is that if they got LT they've be getting rid of one older RB for another one, considering that Tomlinson and Thomas Jones have been around for about the same number of years.