Jones Jr vs Hopkins

Discussion in 'Boxing / MMA' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think this is a great debate, both had amazing careers. In your opinion who was the better overall boxer and why?

2. them_apples

them_apples New Member

Prime for prime Jones beats Hopkins, had the fight happened in 2000 damn it would have been close but Jones still would have won at any time before he moved up to HW. Once he came back down Hopkins would have got him.

both have great resumes, I think Jones beat slightly better competition but Hopkins has that 20+ middleweight defenses thing going for him.

Jones by a hair.

3. Thunder

Thunder Registered Member

The better boxer is IMO Jones who has a better resume also but not by much.

He beat Hopkins in the direct fight and has accomplished more IMO.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Registered Member

Over 40.. Hopkins 4 sure.. Under 40.. Jones every time..
    In spite of what he achieved, it has to be said that Roy should of retired after winning the HW title..

5. Thunder

Agreed.Or at least after the close shave with Tarver the first time.Or definetely after the KO losses or definetely after Calzaghe.

It saddens me to see him fight still.I''ll enjoy him dismantling Lacy though(another guy who has no plae in the ring anymore).

6. Southpaw

Lacy's shot to pieces.. Compliments of Joe Calzaghe, but it wouldn't surprise me if he lands a lucky punch on Jones.. It's a fairly pointless exercise in my opinion.. Evander Holyfield is another fighter who sadly falls into this category..

7. Thunder

Don't even get me started on Evander....after Arturo Gatti he's my favorite all time fighter.

He's just fighting for the money altough they robbed him of his 5th title and oldest man to win it title in december with Valuev.

Saddens me to see him still fighting going on 47!

8. Southpaw

Agreed on all counts.. He's in my top 10 for sure..

Valuev's useless isn't he?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  9. Thunder

Valuev is crap to be honest.Except a decent jab and size he doesn't have nothing.

He got gifts with Donald,Ruiz I and Evander.

Will be interesting to se Haye fight him.David is fast and young enough to win a decision like Evander did.If he tries to get Valuev out of there than he might have problems.

10. Southpaw

Be a bit like Jason & the Arganoughts.. First, he needs to unscrew that big thing on the back of his heel...lol

On a serious note.. Yes I think he stands a better chance than against the Klits.. That's if the fight takes place of course.. If it does, then it's bound to be in Germany, where some of the judging can be biased to say the very least..