• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Jon Stewart's Arizona Shootings Reaction

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Everybody knows that i like The Daily Show a lot, and that I do think that Jon Stewart is not only funny but also insightful.

In the case of the clip below, I guarantee that people of all political viewpoints will be able to appreciate it. Besides a quick comedic scene of one of the the Daily Show "reporters" being in pink pajamas in their bedroom not wanting to report because of the tragedy, it's just Jon Stewart sharing his thoughts. He has a really sane take on all of this that I'm certain you'll appreciate. He sounds like the sanest person I've heard during all of this, including myself. It blew me away to watch it last night, he kind of said what really needs to be said during all of this, including what a lot of people around here have been saying (including it's sad that it's politicized, that you can't really explain why crazy happens, and that it would be nice if we could still build a better political dialogue out of this even though something crazy will happen again someday).

Arizona Shootings Reaction - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 01/10/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

I'll paraphrase/semi-quote some of my favorite thoughts from it below, and I'm interested to see what you all think of these comments.

-In the political pundit world, some are grieving and trying to wrap their heads around everything and some are working feverishly to find that one tidbit or two that will exonerate their side and implicate the other side (I guess this is on GF, too, unfortunately). Watching it is as predictable as it is dispiriting.

-You cannot outsmart crazy. It would be easy if you could draw a straight line and be able to blame one thing on influencing someone to do this type of thing, but you can't. It would, however, be nice if the ramblings of a crazy man wasn't at all similar to what we see in the political dialogue. Let's make troubled individuals easier to spot out there.

-Things like this shatter our world. It would be nice if we could improve the dialogue in this country so that the world we have next (that will get shattered by tragedy again, unfortunately) will be a nicer place.

-In all of this, there is still light. Stewart encouraged people to look into the strangers that put themselves in harms way to help, or the people who had died and into how much they truly lived during their time on Earth.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I completely agreed with him when he said he had no fucking idea whether any of the comments or rhetoric influenced the shooter, and that he wouldn't blame any of the political commentary any more than he would blame Heavy Metal for Columbine. If only the vast majority of the media felt the same way. And of course the sheriff of Prima County.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I completely agreed with him when he said he had no fucking idea whether any of the comments or rhetoric influenced the shooter, and that he wouldn't blame any of the political commentary any more than he would blame Heavy Metal for Columbine. If only the vast majority of the media felt the same way. And of course the sheriff of Prima County.
While I'm not as concerned about the sheriff (see my latest post in that particular thread), I totally agree with you otherwise. With the venom in our dialogue, I'm not necessarily surprised that people considered it as a possible environmental contribution for Laughner's strange ideas, but it shouldn't be an end-all be-all focus of the discussion. His imbalanced mind, on the other hand, can be. Like Stewart said, it would be nice if it was that easy to be able to say that hateful punditry was to blame and we were finished with understanding what happened. Unfortunately, we can't understand why things like this happen, not all the way.

I'll also be posting the first segment to Colbert's show last night in this post, (this one's only 1:39), in which he takes jabs at people being political about the tragedy on shows. He shows a quick clip of people from both sides blaming opposing political views, it's pretty funny and ridiculous. "we may never know what motivated this clearly unbalanced individual, but we do know that this is not the time to politicize this tragedy...*clips*...Oh, I guess I'm wrong. Did we pick someone to blame yet? Well get on it! I look like an idiot out here!" lol..

Pundits Lay Blame for Senseless Arizona Attack - The Colbert Report - 1/10/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I agree with Jon also for the most part. But I also think that "toxic environment" is a somewhat subjective term. Immediately after Steward talked about toxic environment, he said "I have no F-- idea". I personally find the f word to be toxic. I like Steward and I think he can be hilarious, however his language is just too much for me. The last time I saw Steward was immediately after Glenn Beck met face to face with Palin for the first time. My wife and I were dying laughing until the language started and then Steward started talking about "freedom boners".

My point is, that's just me. I'm a freak. I watch less than 10 hours of tv a week and never watch any movie over pg-13. Steward is offensive to me so I don't watch him. I don't want him off the air or curtailed in any way. It seems from Steward's comments that he's going to stand against lawmakers that are trying to politicize this tragedy by limiting free speech and 2nd amendment rights. That's a great thing. When the FCC tries to curb talk radio and new gun laws come up its good to know that Steward is on the side of sanity because sanity needs his voice.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
He's a class act. You can tell everything he said was from the heart and he had no will to try to spin or play around with the recent events in Arizona.

Respect++